My first motorized bicycle build (straight bar Schwinn)

GoldenMotor.com

Black Swamp Ghost

Jul 21, 2011
The Great Black Swamp MI.
Thread from the dead...

To say this project is taking a while is an understatement but she isn't forgotten about....

Picked up a 2 1/4 horse, cut the frame, welded in a piece, and just need some bolts and the engine is mounted... I think the smaller engine will work a lot better..

Does anyone have any idea what the top speed might be with a practical gear ratio?

Thanks for all the comments guys!

<*)))>{

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I would say about 25, had a 1 1/2 hp briggs back in the 50's and that is about what it did. I am working on another almost as slow as you LOL..............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I did get get 35 out of it after i ported it out but then it also flatend the crank from over reving and pypassing the govener. But back then just a kid and didn't have the oil they have now. What kind of motor do you have on there? maybe port it out so it breaths better. Then put about a 6" long intake it give more mid range and then a different carb like a Mikuni 19mm. Then you mybe gear it a little higher and gain some speed. But you may be ok with that motor as it is a little bigger then the one i had...........Curt

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Love your build. Very cool. Definitely post more photos as you go. I am currently done with my build for the most part but may do some upgrading. I have the Cleveland build somewhere on here.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I missed this first time around, so this is a new thread so far as I'm concerned. I'm fond of the old Schwinn straight bar frames that most of us refer to as "panthers" whether they were that model or not. Mine is a 1950, runs a 99cc Predator engine through an EZ transmission and does low thirties with the big rear sprocket I'm running. My bike has a canoe sidecar so I needed to gear it down some to handle the additional weight and drag.

You're going to love your panther as a motor bike. I very much like what you did with your seat and the resulting position and look it gives the bike. I wouldn't worry about how long the build takes. Besides, once you ride yours for a few years you may be ready for a re-do. My sweet panther is beginning to look like it has been fighting with other panthers... some rust showing here and there, scratches and dings. And as I know more mechanically than I did before I think next time around it may get a different engine and drive system, more like the old whizzers. I'm playing with a 147cc 2 stroke Jacobsen and belt drive to a sheave on the rear wheel on a 51 Schwinn cantilever frame and if it works out as well as I hope then the panther may get the same treatment. Someday. If I live long enough.

Keep your photos coming and don't worry about how long it takes. Thanks for sharing your build!
SB

Last edited:

Black Swamp Ghost

Jul 21, 2011
I did get get 35 out of it after i ported it out but then it also flatend the crank from over reving and pypassing the govener. But back then just a kid and didn't have the oil they have now. What kind of motor do you have on there? maybe port it out so it breaths better. Then put about a 6" long intake it give more mid range and then a different carb like a Mikuni 19mm. Then you mybe gear it a little higher and gain some speed. But you may be ok with that motor as it is a little bigger then the one i had...........Curt
Good to know I might be able to squeak a little more out of it if necessary..

Thanks man!

<*)))>{

Black Swamp Ghost

Jul 21, 2011
I missed this first time around, so this is a new thread so far as I'm concerned.
Thanks Silverbear!

I have seen your panther and like it a lot, there is just something inherently cool about the lines on a straight bar Schwinn..

I don't see any way around trying to pick up one of the Sportsman stainless tanks for it, those are just to damn cool..

As for wheels, when I get the time/money..

I was thinking 24" worksman, with thick brick felts?? Does anyone see issues with that line of thought? Will the thick bricks be too wide for a straight bar frame?

<*)))>{

Black Swamp Ghost

Jul 21, 2011
I'm with Curt on this one. I picked up hoops and spokes from husky, good price and real heavy duty.
That all looks real good, I like the black rims too!

I might end up painting my rims but I need someone to lace them back up.. I like how the white ones it has now look.

I decided I am going to try to save the factory paint.. This one is going to be a little older "stock" looking if I can keep it that way..

<*)))>{

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm not so sure the Worksman wheels are made in the states anymore. They are well made, no mistake, but the quality of chrome is way off from years back.

Instead of unlacing the rims to paint them (unless you're having them powder coated) you buy straws and slit them so that they slip over the spokes.
SB

Black Swamp Ghost

Jul 21, 2011
I'm not so sure the Worksman wheels are made in the states anymore. They are well made, no mistake, but the quality of chrome is way off from years back.

Instead of unlacing the rims to paint them (unless you're having them powder coated) you buy straws and slit them so that they slip over the spokes.
SB
I was thinking powder coat, but I really like the straw idea!! I imagine one would use the stirrer straws they have for coffee?

Thanks man!

<*)))>{

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I use the cheapest straws I can find and cut them with scissors (if the point is small enough to fit in the end), or a utility knife. Plastic or paper doesn't matter. I sit the wheel in a bike frame (upside down) and slowly spin the wheel while spraying with a rattle can.
SB