dellorto clone carb question

GoldenMotor.com

hcrft

Jan 4, 2013
NORTH CAROLINA
First time using a dellorto carb. I have a set of 6 jets as well. Do these carbs commonly already come with a jet installed? I dont want to open the carb unless I have to.

The jets sizes are .68,.70,.72,.74,.82, and.84. I am 864ft.above sea level. Any suggestions on jet size to use and why ?

Im also using a jaguar CDI first time. Does the CDI get hot? I'd like to conceal it but have to be careful if it gets hot.

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
if its a PHBG clone, it likely came with a giant plug on the bottom. It's not just for draining fuel, it's that big so you can swap jets quickly :)

But yes, they do typically come with all 3 jets preinstalled. I never even swapped my jet and my 100% stock bike runs pretty good with it, a tad on the rich side but the slide is so huge that it makes up for it.

hcrft

Jan 4, 2013
NORTH CAROLINA
3 jets installed?
Do you mean it runs with three jets? Or do you mean it has one of three installed? Educate me here, as this is my first clone carb.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
PHBG's have 3 jets, an idle jet, a main jet, and a pilot jet. On the stock carb, we only had to worry about the needle and the 1 jet, dellortos are far, far far faaarrr more tunable. There's tuning guides out there for em. The interchangable parts are the slide itself, the needle (different needle tapers), the 3 jets, and even the float. I imagine the pilot jet is for the enrichment (choke equivalent) circuit.

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
It it's the RT, .68 will likely be a little rich.
These are usually used on reeded pocket bikes hence the larger jets.
My advice is to get some jet drills.
Solder up a few of your larger jets and drill to .65.

Reactions: Miscreant

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
ohhhh, so you're talking about the SHA clone. My bad, when someone mentions a dellorto clone, I automatically think PHBG. The RT is basically untunable aside from the jet.