Regen as a charger?

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
There's several things I'm researching right now. What I'm talking about more or less is building a small generator system as a power source in addition to a battery. The battery wouldn't be used that much. However the generator system could recharge it to. As to what kind of battery lead acid may be best.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There's several things I'm researching right now. What I'm talking about more or less is building a small generator system as a power source in addition to a battery. The battery wouldn't be used that much. However the generator system could recharge it to. As to what kind of battery lead acid may be best.
Oh ok. I thought it was to charge the hub battery while you ride the bike. "Optima Yellow Top" batteries seem to be a good place to start, as everyone uses them.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You got me to thinking so I looked up low rpm 24 volt alternators. They do make them. They're often used in windmills and waterwheels. They were around $250. They could generate 12 volts off as little as 130 rpm.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You got me to thinking so I looked up low rpm 24 volt alternators. They do make them. They're often used in windmills and waterwheels. They were around $250. They could generate 12 volts off as little as 130 rpm.
So you're trying to keep a 12V battery charged up? Oh that is very do-able. My bike I got now will be running 96V to propel it down the road with a 12V battery powering all low wattage LED lighting. The lights lasted lasted 8 hours and was still going like new, then I just shut it off.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You seen on the gearbox picture how David had a motor on it. That's what I want to do with a 24 volt 350 watt motor. Then under the seat in the mid frame mount a 24 low rpm alternator; it would be driven off the left side of the rear wheel. From what I was seeing these alternators can have different size regulators put in them. The more voltage the higher the rpm that's needed. However by calculating a high drive ratio the wheel wouldn't have to spin very fast to get a desired voltage with this type of alternator.. I'm only wanting an assist motor to the engine. The motor would be used on battery only for low speed things like riding on green way trails. Where I live the green ways allow electric at low speed but don't allow combustibles because of the noise levels.

I think what you're were trying to tell me before is a charging system has to have a minimum and maximum regulation.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You seen on the gearbox picture how David had a motor on it. That's what I want to do with a 24 volt 350 watt motor. Then under the seat in the mid frame mount a 24 low rpm alternator; it would be driven off the left side of the rear wheel. From what I was seeing these alternators can have different size regulators put in them. The more voltage the higher the rpm that's needed. However by calculating a high drive ratio the wheel wouldn't have to spin very fast to get a desired voltage with this type of alternator.. I'm only wanting an assist motor to the engine. The motor would be used on battery only for low speed things like riding on green way trails. Where I live the green ways allow electric at low speed but don't allow combustibles because of the noise levels.

I think what you're were trying to tell me before is a charging system has to have a minimum and maximum regulation.
Depending on the voltage of the battery pack being charged, it has to generate (by RPM's) more voltage than the battery packs nominal voltage. Massive gas engines in the McLaren and Porsche have absolutely no problem
doing that. To accomplish that on a 2 wheel bicycle with anything greater than a 12 or 24 volt battery is going to be the equivalent of walking on water. The gas engine needed to generate that kind of power is gonna be noticeable to any cop you might run across from a good distance away. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's why I'm looking at low volt motors. Like I said its just an assist motor not a primary drive.
My electric motor was both primary and assist or neither. My next bike simply has the capacity and the voltage to not need any gas motor. It's much much simpler, cleaner and costs the same amount of money. My top speed, range and torque will have also doubled that of my old bike. I'm not taking any prisoners this time around. LOL

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
What I'm doing is putting a Honda GXH 50 on my current 5 speed automatic. I'm going to build another 5 speed automatic with my RS 35 engine. The hybrid gearbox would allow me to put a small high torque motor on it to assist the RS 35.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
What I'm doing is putting a Honda GXH 50 on my current 5 speed automatic. I'm going to build another 5 speed automatic with my RS 35 engine. The hybrid gearbox would allow me to put a small high torque motor on it to assist the RS 35.
It will give you more torque than what you currently have. I had gobs of torque on my last bike but no additional top end. I spent myself into what seemed like a bottomless well of cost for what I achieved. People who saw it seemed to like it though.......until I mentioned the cost. Then their looks turned to horror. laff

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
That's the joys of this hobby. I live where there's 30% grade hills. I could up my GB- SK ratio. For more top end speed but loose climbing power. Doing what I'm talking about would give it back.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's the joys of this hobby. I live where there's 30% grade hills. I could up my GB- SK ratio. For more top end speed but loose climbing power. Doing what I'm talking about would give it back.
Yep, it sure would. Just don't spend yourself into corkscrew like I did, when you can just go all electric for about the same price and achieve results equaling a Honda CBR 1000RR superbike up to 80mph......in complete silence. The choice is yours. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's a nice ride. For the most part I try to stay under $1500 on projects.
Yeah my ride will cost about 3x times that when all is said and done.
The Honda CBR 100RR costs 3x my bikes cost at $14,000, plus gas, registration and insurance, so I don't feel so bad.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I restored an old Harley one time and my x wife use to tell me that I loved that bike more than her. Lol. Sold the bike to prove her wrong; got divorced 6 months latter.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
First my x wanted me to put a B seat on it. I told her I'd be more than happy to do that. She thought about it again and quickly changed her mind about the B seat.