how to remove chain link

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I realized that this was an old thread, but since you were here recently, I'd add that yes a chain breaker is useful, but it seems that I do best to use both the Dremel tool with it and it works out good.

If the end of the pin is not ground, the tool I got from Harbor Freight just does not do well. I'd have to say that it is not just Harbor Freight breaker tool, as I got from a motorcycle shop also and it didn't work out well. The motorcycle place said the chain breaker would work with my #35 mini bike chain. It works to a point, and did not get damaged, but the push pin is really too large.

You do not want the links that your keeping adjacent to the one removed to become bent or distorted and not flex easily as a chain should do. That is why I use the grinder also as it make the pin removal easier. Just be sure not to grind too close and nick the link your keeping or it won't be a safe chain.

I use the master link with my chain and find it OK. Over time and maybe 5 or so removals and installs, that clip I would toss out for saftey and use a new one. I got lots of spares of master link parts from Graingers.

MT

Last edited:

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
I was cutting my chain yesterday to fit the bike.
I have a Dax kit with the supplied 415 chain.
I was able to use my Park Tool CT-5 to do the job.
I thought it was going to fail, but worked perfectly.