Interesting fork set

GoldenMotor.com

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I went by Silver State to talk to Scott today, and saw this gem in one of the assembly rooms:

Apparently a customer sent in the fork set to be adapted in to a Silver State frame. The original riser will be retained, but the bearings are the standard 1 1/8" threadless setup with sealed ball bearings

Since the original knurled nut was missing, Scott deftly drilled the 60+ year old hex nut for a safety wire so that it stays put with engine vibration

Anybody know what that fork is from?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That's a Schwinn World fork 1920's/1930's Ballooner Era but were used on other well known brands too Schwinn made stuff for everyone and everyone made stuff for Schwinn I have an exact set for my 1916 women's Buckeye mine are 28" and came off a buddies 1922 world he accidently ran over in the garage while backing out, guess he didn't realize it had fallen over as his garage is FILLED with old bikes.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Go to the category you wish to start a thread, at the top (L) corner above the thread (not category) you'll see New Thread box click onto that and fallow the instructions

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
It's a "truss rod fork."

Pre WW2 many companies made similar forks with the truss rods welded on, and many more made them with the rods attached to the axle, with or without the fork crown bracket.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you are looking to LOG IN go to the top of the page (R) side next to categories and log in if you are trying to reply click onto the Post Reply bust you must be a member of the forum to log in and or start a new thread, don't be afraid to join if you are into M/B's and just plain Bicycles this a Great place to get knowledge and also share what you know and have.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Here is something interesting only problem with this is the actual fork needs to be welded where the axle slips in.
A old Monark springer, that is the way they were made. Open notch,i have a couple and had one on my old Manark twin ...............Curt

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I really thought that someone was just mix matching some stuff and it came out cool, I was talking to Dan about the set up and he said the since the fork was open that it would have to be welded shut because the actual part that holds the axle has to rotate and if it is tightened then it would be able to move and function like the monarch's were suppose too, no big deal just cut a piece of metal weld it in and re-drill the hole a bit and yes Monark did make them but yet for an off brand bike for another Hardware Store that wanted a touch of their design to it so these forks if original are very rare, I'm still doing some research on them and just haven't been able to get a specific name for either the bike brand or store name just that they were limited for a private brand dept.store bicycle I like em !

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
The monark fork is a springer fork. it's basically two forks linked together and was an early suspension fork. you can find originals on ebay all the time. sportscarpat builds a heavy dity repr, and another company makes a sorta heavy duty repop.

A truss rod fork like in the original post isn't designed to move. the rods act as a strengthening brace. very early motorcycles from the teens developed them as fork failure was a common problem when adding 50+ pounds of motor and the torque and stress that went along with it.

In fact, i think the earliest recorded motorcycle fatality was a broken neck due to fork failure.

On my profile page you'll see 5 or 6 examples of truss rod forks. some new, some old, and some that i made the truss rods myself.

Search for pre-war forks on ebay and they usually turn up.

The silver state mod looks like they welded a new steer tube in to avcept a threadless headset.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Also, the axle is not designed to move on any fork.

the monark has two "L" shaped links on the bottom that have special bolts that only tighten down so much to allow them to move up and down with the spring action up top when you hit bumps. i just built three bicycles using the original ones for friends.

I wouldn't recommend the original 70 year old monark forks on a motor bike. they pretty flimsy. but many people have done it.

Truss rod forks were made by many differen companies. actually, almost every bike company around in the 30's and 40's made them.

the department store specials you refer to aren't rare at all. western flyer, monark, wards/ hawthorne/ colson, and many other companies made bikes that were rebadged with other stores logos.

Goodyear and firestone are good examples. they had bikes mafe by everybody with their name on them.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
My old Monark twin back in the fiftys had one on. and i used to carry a friend on the tank. That old fork held up good. Jack knifed it is soft sand bent it had it presd strieght and was good till the motor went. So they may look flimsy they are tough..........Curt

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
I'm just biased against springers. i don't like the spongy feel, the brake dive and the wobbly feel of them. Those cheap schwinn ones made from lawn chairs should be banned outright.

Plus i'm spoiled by smooth california roads... :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I agree on the New Schwinn one junk. I have a old one from the 50's that is solid and heavy built. The old Monarks can be tightend up with some shim washers and still pivit...........Curt

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

Those forks are a bit older than I guessed they were.

FYI, Scott did not weld on them. He carefully sleeved the original stem up with a piece of 4340 he machined for the job. That is why the original stem nut got drilled for a safety wire & re-used.

Nice to see the old stuff keep going.

Brad