Raising RPM engagement on 5/8 clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Hey everyone. I am trying to raise the rpm engagement on the Huasheng 5/8 shaft clutch. I haven't done new springs yet, just trying washers. This thing engages right off idle and chatters too much for my liking. Do most of you raise the rpm engagement so it doesn't chatter as much on takeoff or do you just pedal from start before engaging?

If you raise the rpm engagement, how do you raise it? I have 3 washers in each shoe installed now, and hasn't made a difference. When I add a 4th washer, I rev it and it never engages. So it either engages too soon, or never. I know I thought I have read installing the washers help, but for me so far has not.

I have changed the key on the shaft to eliminate wobble, that did help with some of the chatter.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
I believe that clutch in the link you gave is a relacement for the tapered shaft cluct. The pic showing the clutch it replaces is the same looking clutches I see on my tapered shaft motors. I already sanded the shoes, anf this bike has at least 20 hours of ride time on it. I thought it might have smoothed out some but it hasn't. It may be normal, I don't know.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Wow almost 70 bucks for a clutch. In the description says you have to order washers, two keys and some other stuff. Hmmm. I dunno. I would rather eliminate the clutch and go for the AGK Jackshaft kit for 155.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
yea. That's your best bet. The AGK jackshaft kit is great. I have a pocket bike dual chain box which works well also. I had to replace the chains with heavy duty #25's but have had no problem since then. Of course that is for tapered Dax Titan.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi worksuxx. With the clutch you have now, can you drill two or three holes in each of the three steel parts that hold the clutch shoes, and therefore lighten the clutch to cause a higher rpm engagement? Isn't the hausheng 5/8 inch shaft actually 15.80mm and not 15.875mm which equals 5/8 inches? I think the staton 15.80mm clutch for the honda gx50cc will fit the hausheng 50cc 5/8 inch shaft engine. I think Staton said that he never heard of anyone wearing out his clutch for the honda 50. Some of his merchandise is a littlt bit heavy. It is very high quality and strong. Thankyou.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Been away for a bit. Just getting back into fixing this clutch on this bike. I don't think I want to spend too much just to replace the clutch. I am currently taking apart, putting back together, taking apart etc.. etc.. etc.. until I get this clutch figured out. Trying different washers to find the sweet spot. There has to be one. I believe one shoe is grabbing early. Although, something with this setup doesn't seem right, moving the bike backwards you can feel the clutch grabbing, as it doesn't go backwards without resistance. I am wondering if the bushing might be allowing the clutch bell to sit on the clutch in a way that is not centered, therefore rubbing on part of the clutch. I would love to do the bearing mod, but kinda not there yet. I might have the belt too tight, although I thought the tension was perfect. Have two days off, so gonna spend some time with it.