Tired of tight squeezing clutches?

GoldenMotor.com

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
The cable management on the 2 stroke engines for the clutch is just garbage. I tried a few different levers with different pull lengths and arcs. Nothing seemed to make it any smoother. Then I remembered THIS little gem. It doubles the pull of the cable given by the lever, and on these engines, it also leaves your cable pointing up, and away from the engine's heat sink, eliminating the need for the spring over the cable housing. It also gives you a smooth and easy pull of the clutch. One or two fingers.

I'm more of a Rat Rod type of guy, and thought there had to be a "cooler looking" (and cheaper) way to to achieve this. I took a trip to Fleet Farm, one small 500lb pully, and one L-bracket later, this is what I came up with. Same end result. Two finger smooth clutching. It cost me $4.99 to do, and to me has a killer mechanical look which is perfect for the Rat Rodder enthusiast.

Last edited:

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
This is a pretty neat setup for the clutch, The modern day clutches seem harder to pull then on a motor from ....say 2 or 3 years ago, I route the clutch cable on my bikes over the right side, lubricate the cables very well keep them with as little bends as possible and secure to the frame and they pull very smoothly. I'll use white lithium grease to lube the cables, or PB blaster, WD-40 whatever I have laying around, anyone using WD-40 as chain lube....BAD idea, learned that really fast LOL! I've ordered several motors from ebay vendors and usually, 2 or 3 of them have REALLY stubborn clutches at first, but get easier the more they're pulled. If something doesn't need improving, leave it! I loved the older flying horse motors even the old skyhawks! Now days their new generation stuff is improved in certain areas, but total MAYHEM in others... IE clutch pull, poor intake manifold designs, when I got a 48cc Skyhawk from bikeberry, I could go 35 mph STOCK with no upgrades......today's 66cc? Hard time pushing 30-35 STOCK...but some motors actually do go that fast, luck of the draw I guess!

pedrodog

Apr 21, 2013
san pedro, ca.
what a great idea! I need to look into reversing the process for the handle end cuz my cable seems to give at the lead end it broke on me three times Or maybe that's all I need to do to make to put less stress on the cable. Thanks for the tip!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
What leaked all over your filter and sidecover?
You must have missed the thread where he was inquiring if
silicone smeared on the motor would quieten it down. :D

rubber tubing in the fins too.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=50792

but i was wondering if you used it in place of the blocks, or to slather on the out side of the covers, would it help or just look odd
Slather! I love that word. Robert, the answer is that it looks like crap! lafflaff

Last edited:

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
yea i know, cant really scrape the "crap" off easy either. need to take the case to girlfriends dad shop and grind the crap off, then put something else on