huasheng carb adjustment

GoldenMotor.com

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
can anyone walk me through how they adjusted their 4 stroke carb? im new to the carbureted world. would like to know the proper way of doing it right...thanks!

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
The way I understand 4 stroke small engines, the only tuneing that you do is adjust one screw, that adjusts the lean or rich gas to air mixture. The way the picture that I saw, it looks like that screw is on the clutch side of the motor.

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
thanks turbo, but more specific would be nice. do i adjust the idle screw last? should i adjust mixture with choke on or off? does a rev that has hesitation mean rich or lean? when i rev it... and let go... it dies right after, should i lean it out or add more fuel? it seems it idles too high because when warmed up it takes off by itself! but if i lower the idle, it will die... i guess this is why im
asking for a procedure, the trial and error isnt working well when you dont really know what your doing. any help would be appreciated.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I can help with a couple things. Adjust the mixture screw with the choke off. A hesitation when you give it throttle indicates a too lean mix. It would be helpful to me to know if the mix screw controls the air or the fuel side of the mix. At some point in the adjustment of the mix screw engine rpm will be at it's highest level. When you find this point, turn the screw 1/8 to 1/4 turn to the rich side. Your low speed should be set properly now. You can now adjust the idle speed screw to get it where you want it.

The mix screw only effects the mixture for about the first 1/4 turn of the throttle. After that, it's all up to the main jet and the needle position. You need someone who knows more than me to help with this.

In most cases on small air cooled engines, setting them just a tad rich is a good thing. It helps them cool and still make good power.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You pretty much start out with the mix screw set at 2-2.5 turns out to get a baseline. From there, some engines like more or less. I helped out OP in PM with this info.

Mine likes 3 turns out. And ofc modded engines like a bigger main jet. My brother's stock GXH50 needed a larger jet just for extended high RPM.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I am currently trying to tune my carb and was wondering what "3 turns out" means? Do i screw it all the way in and then back it off 2-3 turns and go from there? Also, which direction is rich and which is lean?

TIA