68 Spoke Rim Split Collar Sprocket Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I finally got around to making a split collar Sprocket Adapter for my Macargi Beach Cruiser. I don't know why it has the odd number of spokes. I thought most rims were either 36, 72 or 144. When I originally built it I couldn't get the regular kit adaptor to work with the 68 spoke rim, so for the time being I used a 36 spoke rim. I never liked the way it looked with the different rims.
I should have made my own sprocket, instead of using the nine hole pattern, it was kind of a challenge but I guess it worked o.k.
Help me out here Joe, you will notice in the pictures I had to bend a couple of the spokes to clear the bolts. I realigned the rim on my trueing stand with an indicator and it runs perfectly true. Do you think it will weaken it, or should it be o.k. since it is a double spoke rim. Not something I would do again, but sometimes you have to get creative.
John

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Do you think it will weaken it, or should it be o.k. since it is a double spoke rim. Not something I would do again, but sometimes you have to get creative.
John

I don't have a degree in this, but common sense tells me that it has twice as many spokes, so it should STILL be stronger than 36 spoke rims... RUN IT! (^) .fly

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
you know, theres a lot of ppl (including myself) that would buy those. good job. perhaps, smaller mm bolts would diminish the need for bending the spokes. especially if you have holes for a few more of them?

getting my sprocket mounted was a nightmare, and if it's not true on its axis, ZIP-ZIP-ZIP-ZIP! hate it.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
you know, theres a lot of ppl (including myself) that would buy those. good job. perhaps, smaller mm bolts would diminish the need for bending the spokes. especially if you have holes for a few more of them?

getting my sprocket mounted was a nightmare, and if it's not true on its axis, ZIP-ZIP-ZIP-ZIP! hate it.
The adaptors would be pretty easy to make for the normal 36 spoke rim. The only variables would be the hub size on the rim, and starting out with a good sprocket, that you know the hole pattern and center bore are correct. Some of these Chinese sprockts are really out of whack! I don't see how they get the center bore off center?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The adaptors would be pretty easy to make for the normal 36 spoke rim. The only variables would be the hub size on the rim, and starting out with a good sprocket, that you know the hole pattern and center bore are correct. Some of these Chinese sprockts are really out of whack! I don't see how they get the center bore off center?
The chain won't even fit the sprocket I got in my latest kit. It goes around about 3/4 of the way and then climbs up out of the teeth. At first I thought it was a non-uniform thicknes.

I made up a split collar sprocket adapter and sprocket a few days ago for a current build. I incorporated three bosses into it that pass through the spokes, these are tapped 3/8-16.

I think your spokes are too close together for the type of design I did.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
yes. here's a clamshell for 36spoke here: Livefast Motors: Bike Motors - Accessories

i meant for a 68spoke, specifically.

i've noticed coaster brake wheel hubs are + or - 1/8" in size.

i have REALLY noticed warped sprockets. no problems with the dished kind, just the flat style. AND until recently, i had to file down the center bore myself. now, the factory is doing it, and mucking it up.

the pics are from the 68spoke wheel. redrilled sprocket mounting holes, cut spacers from old conveyor belt.

if you could make some for 68spokers, i bet there's a few ppl that'd snatch 'em up. allowing them to keep the 68's instead of having to go down to 36.

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The chain won't even fit the sprocket I got in my latest kit. It goes around about 3/4 of the way and then climbs up out of the teeth. At first I thought it was a non-uniform thicknes.

I made up a split collar sprocket adapter and sprocket a few days ago for a current build. I incorporated three bosses into it that pass through the spokes, these are tapped 3/8-16.

I think your spokes are too close together for the type of design I did.
Hey Jim, I like the idea of the three bosses and the three 3/8 bolts. I think that is what I will do on my next build with a 36 spoke rim.
I knew the 68 spoke was going to be a challenge since it wasn't divisable by anything reasonable. I also saw your motor mounts. I like em. My next ones will be similar.
John