Period tire colors??

GoldenMotor.com

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
I am about to order some tires for a new build, and I want something "period correct". What are some thoughts about white vs. cream color tires? What looks more "correct" to you? I would guess that most natural rubber tires were more off-white than true white, but I can't say for certain......

I know they had black, grey, white walls, even all red and white walls with red tread available back then. From my understanding color was more a function of durability than aesthetics?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I personally prefer the cream color tires ( 26"x2.125" Electra cream colored retro runners ) they give a nice pop with out drawing the eye away from the rest of the bike

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The original pneumatic tires were natural rubber and a off white color, more towards cream in the states, and light grey in England & Europe. Think of the color of a old white wall tire you might see on a 1950's car.

In the first decade of the 1900’s tire companies began to add red (like a radiator hose) or black additives to give the tires better UV protection. Black soon became the most popular.

But it wasn’t uncommon to still have red or “cream” into the early 1920’s

-Kirk

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Thanks for the replies! For those looking, these are what I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-X-2-125-...072?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item35c421efb0
I wasn't 100% if I wanted those, or the white white ones... I haven't seen them up close, but they look too white, like paper white in the pics. Just wouldn't look right I don't think.

I have seen old ads for red tires, like Fisks and Continentals, but no actual photos; I wonder what shade of red they really were. I've seen both bright red and brick red/brownish bike tires out there... EDIT: didn't catch you mentioned rubber hose, I know exactly the color... Like VW oil cooler seal red. That would sure be neat!!

Since you mentioned '50s white walls- I don't know what it is they put in the rubber to make it white today (I've read they used to use zinc oxide?).. I have some older Cokers on my Packard (about 6 or 7 years old now) and they don't yellow.. They get kind of greyish and just bleed white all over everything. After a rain there will be white streaks down the black part of the tire, onto the driveway, and all the way down to the gutter, its ridiculous. I would way rather deal with yellowing.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
This is what I found on Amazon 26x2.0" Continental Retro Ride pretty cool looking and If ? I may suggest get the Avenir 26x 2.125 thorn resistant tubes sold at Big 5 Sporting Goods in the Bicycle Dept. and green tire strip guards for the inside of the tire not rim you won't regret it.
These are also listed on EBay through same vender where you got your tires for a cool vintage touch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Grey-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0993b5d7

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Retro-Ride-Urban-Bicycle/dp/B00BQQQ82Q/ref=pd_sbs_sg_10

Attachments

Last edited:

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Thanks for the tip on the tubes!! I never think about Big 5... There's one right near me too lol. I was looking at the Slime brand tubes at Walmart, but I'll go check out the Avenirs first. I need to get the rims trued up too, I might just find a local shop and get tubes and strips there depending on the price....

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
WARNING! DO NOT! (REPEAT) DO NOT! BUY SLIME BRAND ANYTHING!! do not listen to others either concerning this product, get the Avenir tubes

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
That bad, huh? :D I think the only slime brand anything I've ever bought is my little tire pressure gauge I keep in the glovebox.... Thanks for the warning before I got had!