new build/ old parts

GoldenMotor.com

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
this is a new build that im attempting...actually its for my buddy whos bike got wrecked helping me out...need to make a few things for this to work...but its in there and it feels wicked...gonna be running a 41 toother on it too...front tire size is 26x1.75...back tire 24x2.125...going to make a gas tank holder because the down tube angle is too steep and the fuel line would sit below the carb...doesnt need a derailleur on the pedal side...actually lines up perfectly with the 3rd gear on the freewheel...this is an old bike...kmart something or other...heavy heavy bike before the motor...good steel frame...and killer fenders...ill keep everyone up to date as this goes...minute details no but important stuff yes...wish us luck...oh and as u can see its a womans cruiser bike..and we should be able to minimize the wiring and keep clean cable lines too....theres a little spot under where the motor sits that u can kinda see in the 4th pic...

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
how do you keep your legs from being burned with that install? kinda straddling the motor looks like it would be warm!

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Same way you would with a top tube...just keep your knees out a little...they do warm up a bit but for now in the winter? Perfect for keeping warm...I'm letting him deal with the back sprocket tho...I'm gonna be more focused on building a tank mount on the slanted top down tube and all without a welder...gonna be tough...but I'm determined to get this working for him...and without $$$ to spend makes it more challenging...

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
UPDATE!!!

so yesterday we threw in some good hours on this frankenstein of a build...got the gas tank mount all set and throttle attatched, carb set, clutch done...just gotta mount the rear sprocket on the back tire and cut the chain...other than that this monster will be co-starring in some of my future videos...let me know what you think...

Attachments

Last edited:

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
looks good, but looks like u need another friend w/ a welder lol. I actually like the look of it. Are u worried about the chain clearances w/ the engine sitting so high in the frame? Also might want to upgrade those crappy stamped steel brake calipers to some nice bmx calipers, just a thought. carry on... Moto

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
At first there was a chain clearance issue...not because the engines seating but because of the left side seat stay...i heated and viced the tube in that one inch area that the chain was rubbing...other than that shes golden...very smooth ride...and new brakes are in the mail...the nuts welded on the side of the exhaust tube are for the heat shield that vibrated off many miles ago...i have a video,,, but youtube says its too long...i will edit and post it soon...

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Ok so this old bike is in line for an update...reeds and speed carb are here...dinner first and pics and updated info will be here later...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think the step through frames make sense for budget motorbike builds, They cost a lot less than boy frames on craigslist, leaving you more money to spend on upgrades.
I like your top tube idea. I had thought of mitering the ends of a wooden broom stick or dowel for a tight fit to the frame and securing it with metal strap on the ends. of course, I would paint it.
The angles of the motor mounts didn't allow both ends to fit flat against the frame on my conventional cruiser either. I felt like the rear motor mount was the most important, because it is more likely to slip along the tube under acceleration. So, I mounted the motor with the rear motor mount flush against the frame and the front had to attach at an angle. So far, so good.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks weird and creepy. I like it! I almost did a womens LaJolla cruiser. Backed off at the last second due to aluminum frame. Motor looked good in it though...

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Oh my god this bike is nucking futs...reeds went on with no mods necessary...speed carb too...went for a nice run on it...has massive mid range throttle response...next step is the expansion chamber...and yes this bike is scary to ride...700cm front tire, 24"rear with a 41tooth sprocket, 415 chain,12guage magneto wires, ngk b6hs gapped to .028...this bike is now a proud member of the 40mph club...

Here's the link to the album with the updated pics...once the rain stops ill get some vid footage up...

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1177

Oh and he also installed a power converter, and uses a mini marshall amp to listen to music as we drive around...

Enjoy

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Shes dead...frame snapped at 38mph...rear tire took off into someones yard and my buddy rode the frame to a stop with no injuries to self...this diehard motor is now on a mountain bike frame...and cant be stopped...frame number 4 for this motor...ill get pics up later...