HS troubles

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I'm frustrated. I haven't run my HS in awhile and now I'm having some problems. It runs with a lot of throttle and choke, but doesn't idle at all. I have put a performance filter and exhaust on it and maybe that's the problem. Drilled out the jet to a #71 and checked valves at .003 for intake and .005 for exhaust. The choke has to be on almost all the way for it to even run, and as soon as I try and idle it down it dies abruptly. Is it the adjustment screw, or do I need to drill the jet out more considering I'm having to choke the engine and set the idle really high to keep it running?

:-||

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm frustrated. I haven't run my HS in awhile and now I'm having some problems. It runs with a lot of throttle and choke, but doesn't idle at all.
If you left gas in the carb and didn't run it dry the small
passages in the carb get blocked by old gas.
The HS carbs are notorious for this.

Clean your carb including the slow jet.

Did it run properly with your mods before you stored it?

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I never ran it with the mods until now. I pulled the slow jet out and cleaned it. I may have to pull the whole thing apart and see what's going on. Also I may have the drilled the main jet too small, maybe a #68 will work since I'm at sea level.

Last edited:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I'm frustrated. I haven't run my HS in awhile and now I'm having some problems. It runs with a lot of throttle and choke, but doesn't idle at all. I have put a performance filter and exhaust on it and maybe that's the problem. Drilled out the jet to a #71 and checked valves at .003 for intake and .005 for exhaust. The choke has to be on almost all the way for it to even run, and as soon as I try and idle it down it dies abruptly. Is it the adjustment screw, or do I need to drill the jet out more considering I'm having to choke the engine and set the idle really high to keep it running?

:-||
ive had this problem i now solved it after tons of messing around and trying diffrent things..

first empty all the gas out.. pull out the petcock and clean the filter with brake cleaner or gas pour gas in the tank slosh it around a bit empty it repeat again

next go but a paper inline gas filter from orielys about 2 bucks or so

replace the fuel line and put in the filter

theres a screw on the motor thats black on top of the carb get a philips and a flat head screw driver

unscrew the screw that makes the throttle go up or down pull the screw out dont loose it.

next take the flat head stick it under the black plug looking thing where the screw was cant miss it pry up gently

this is the idle jet

take a super small needle from your moms sewing kit and be careful not to make the hole bigger other wise it wont idle ever.. if you have a brass insert it wont matter then but the plastic ones will get bigger if your not careful..

stick the needle or something that will fit in the idle jet hole run it back and forth use some gas in a cap dip it in that.. you now have a clean idle jet

these jets are super small small as a human hair if not smaller they get cloged

you will have to replace the orings i will give you a secret where to get them harbor frieght item number 67609 $2.99 you get like 20 of them they are in the second part of the container top row cant miss em.. cheaper then buying them from that other guy that charges a dollar each plus shipping

now replace them be gentle use silicone lubricant only as it wont damage the orings.. or if you dont have that use gas but stick it back in the way it came out fast gas dries fast.. if you stick them in dry they will bind up and break..

put black idle screw back in

next take off fuel bowl on carb empy and clean it out put it back in

put fuel in start bike up run for a while..

there you have it it shoudl run good now if it dont pull the carb off and borrow your friends sonic cleaner also from hf and sonic clean that biootch make sure to use distilled water and soap just a tad of soap

clean it out with distilled water then blow it out leave it out over night to dry put back together

do this if the above dont work

i have done this and the paper gas filter is the only thing that stops gas deposites from cloging up that stupid idle jet..

hope this helps

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
alittle tip before you store any bike remove all gas even in the lines and float bowl or add stabil stabalizer to your gas.. if you plan on driving it a month later longer than that do the above...

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Thanks guys, the carb was toast and kept leaking gas, so I bought a new one. It ran but still was bogging, so I switched back the jet I had drilled to a #68 for the new carb's jet that I drilled to a 71# and it ran perfectly. Also set the intake valve lash at .004 instead of .003. Runs like a champ now! Got clocked doing 32MPH the other day at 2/3 throttle. Pretty good for a huge stretch frame bike and heavy rider.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
Thanks guys, the carb was toast and kept leaking gas, so I bought a new one. It ran but still was bogging, so I switched back the jet I had drilled to a #68 for the new carb's jet that I drilled to a 71# and it ran perfectly. Also set the intake valve lash at .004 instead of .003. Runs like a champ now! Got clocked doing 32MPH the other day at 2/3 throttle. Pretty good for a huge stretch frame bike and heavy rider.
Awesome :Dxct2