My Flying Merkel BTR

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im no admin but YES YES YES you can cetainly put your bike up here. I know your pedals arent fully functional but there are bikes on here without pedals at all. And besides we are a little more laid back here then other websites. Many of us will love to see your bike.

I read your thread over on ADVRIDER and i was blown away. Truly one of the best ive seen. I know you are modest and say it wasnt all that hard but man this bike is awesome. I really appreicate how you shared your techniques so openly.

I was wondering if you had put anymore thought into casting a right side engine cover?

Rebuilder

Jun 25, 2012
Minneapolis
Im no admin but YES YES YES you can cetainly put your bike up here. I know your pedals arent fully functional but there are bikes on here without pedals at all. And besides we are a little more laid back here then other websites. Many of us will love to see your bike.

I read your thread over on ADVRIDER and i was blown away. Truly one of the best ive seen. I know you are modest and say it wasnt all that hard but man this bike is awesome. I really appreicate how you shared your techniques so openly.

I was wondering if you had put anymore thought into casting a right side engine cover?
Thanks Harry. The reason I asked if I can put this here was because my posts kept getting deleted as I posted them and I wasn't sure what was up. It was weird but now they're all up and doubled in some cases. Anyway... the side cover. Yes I still plan on casting a new one but now it's summer and I don't want to take the one off the bike to measure. I might just buy one but they go pretty high on Ebay.

Here's a link if anyone is interested in the build. Wish I would have known about this site when I started the thread.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619303

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
WOW!....I repeat...WOW!.....I think I'm going to copy Your tricks for My next build!(Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery)....Tigmaster....

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I have read through your thread at least 4 times now over the span of a year. I can't stop going back to it. How do you find your braking? sufficient?

also how are those plans coming along haha

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Very nice, I just spent a couple hours this morning and last night looking your thread on advrider. Your bike is easily the best modern reproduction of a board tracker that I've seen. Now you need to do a Cyclone with internal rear suspension.

Last edited:

Rebuilder

Jun 25, 2012
Minneapolis
Hey thanks guys.

As for the brake... it actually works pretty good. I've probably put 1000+ miles on it without any trouble. Just need to plan ahead and see them before they see you.

As for the build plans and blueprints... I wish I had the time to sit down and do it. If I do it I want to do it right and that will take some time. Maybe some day.

Someone asked about a rear fender. I had one but when I replaced the rear tire it rubbed and burnt the paint off. I figure if I fall off the back I'm pretty screwed anyway so I decided it didn't need it. I like the look without it anyway.

The Cyclone was my second choice. I chose the Merkel because the tank was easier.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I actually stumbled upon a video of this bike on youtube some time ago and was really impressed. I didn't think you would ever be a member on this forum, but welcome. I think you will find that the spirit of the old builders is alive and well here.

I hope you plan on making more or at least keeping us posted with the adventures you have on this one.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Rebuilder...Have just read your Flying Merkel on the AV site....fantastic build ..great you get to use it as well....What is your next choice....DD

Rebuilder

Jun 25, 2012
Minneapolis
Hi Rebuilder...Have just read your Flying Merkel on the AV site....fantastic build ..great you get to use it as well....What is your next choice....DD
Thanks guys. Next... I just started another design but it'll be awhile before that gets started. I might go to the dark side and use a Harley motor. I want to build a bike to sell so I figure make it a V-twin and see what happens. It'll still be boardtrack-ish with a girder or springer style fork but I'm thinking of going with big tires front and rear. It'll be different... I hope in a good way.

The Merkel made it to theKneeslider.com

Check it out...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2...tribute-by-terry-heydt/#.T_cYVJOcGA8.facebook

Oh and get one of these work benches if you're going to build a Boardtracker. That little thing works perfectly to hold a single tube hooped frame.