No gasket? Bad?

GoldenMotor.com

domster66

Jun 18, 2012
San Diego
Ok so on my 80cc bike I was riding and there was a lot of vibration and my intake pipe fell out because of the two screws that hold the pipe into the cylinder! This isn't the first time I have had problems with these little screws. They are always never screwing in completely and securely no matter what I do! Except for one thing... If I take out the intake gasket, they will screw in perfectly without a problem! So my question is, will something bad happen? e.g. maybe it might cause extra vibration? or air leaks? I have no clue. So should I run it without the gasket or no? Thanks

EDIT- Well, I tried it, and it didn't even start, so yeah. But still my question stands.... If it were to start and run, would something go wrong. Just curious.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It will most likely leak badly (why it wouldn't start).

Not sure why the screws don't go in with the gasket in there, that doesn't make sense.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Probably because the bolts won't seat against the flange because the weld beads are too big and protrude out too far to allow them to. They won't stay tight if they aren't in full contact with the flange of the manifold.

I always grind those welds so that the nuts or Allen head bolts will lay flush against the flange. Also the flange is probably warped. They all are so a good gasket seal isn't possible unless you grind or sand the gasket sealing surface flat before installing the manifold to the cylinder.

No, it won't seal without a gasket. You'll have an air leak (vacuum leak) that will cause you problems.

Tom