How to Remove Gears

GoldenMotor.com

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I've got a chinese 2 stroke that, I believe, has a broken crank arm. I'm trying to pull the gears; however, the small gear has a large screw in the center that I need to remove first. I can't get that screw out.

Which direction is the screw meant to be turned to remove it?
What's the proper way to hold the large/small gears in place to prevent them from turning when I attempt to remove the screw?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Jam a piece of wood between the primary gears to provent rotation.
Use a $10 impact driver to remove the screw in the little gear.
Screw turns normal direction - righty tighty and lefty loosey (at the top).

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Also look at the direction of the engine, and how it turns. The screw will never turn in a loosening direction. I'm not sure if it's a lefty loosy or a lefty tighty screw.

I remember helping a friend of mine change an alternator on his Ford Exploder. I couldn't get the damn idler pulley off. I'm a pretty strong fella, with a lot of tools. But I still couldn't get the damn thing off. FInally, I got pissed, and put some A$$ behind it. I tore the whole thing off. Come to find out it was a lefty tighty bolt.

lol.. Hope this helps..

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
(I think because of the direction the small gear would move, you may be right, right is loose left is tight.)

I remember my 81 mustang, spent hours trying to get the alternator bracket nut loose, went and bought a nut splitter, then I tried the wrench on the bolt side for the **** of it, came right off, the nut was welded on!

Last edited:

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
Got the flat head bolt off, mostly. I still have no clue which direction it was supposed to turn, lol. Needless to say, I got it off in pieces.

Went from trying to use the impact driver to using a hammer and chisel, then finally used a drill....

That thing just didn't want to come off.

Now I've just got to take off the gears.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Need to use a gear puller..... This puller removes both clutch gears and the drive sprocket.

All threads are standard. There are NO LEFT handed threads on these engines.

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
I can't seem to get the smaller gear out; my gear pullers threads seem stripped out at the tip and I can't get it in any further to get any grip.

Gear puller has never been used before.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I can't seem to get the smaller gear out; my gear pullers threads seem stripped out at the tip and I can't get it in any further to get any grip.

Gear puller has never been used before.
Take a SMALL preferably a 3 corner file and dress up the threads. I always do this first before trying to use this cheap piece of junk. Once you get it cleaned up, work it back and forth (in the gear) till you can bottom the puller out, then tighten with a wrench. All my pullers tighten all the way up with my fingers.

Or you can remove the large gear, then take a small pry bay. Be careful that you don't destroy the case.

The puller will only go into the gear 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 turns.

Attachments

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
What do I need to take off to get the large gear off?
Remove pressure plate machine screw
Remove flower nut.
Remove pressure plate
Remove spring
Remove nut.
Remove star washer
Pull gear off with puller.
Pay attention to the woodruff key when removing the gear.

Start here and go forward

Last edited:

Matthew

Jun 12, 2012
canada
The bolt that holds the smaller gear, what is the size of it? Mine unscrewed and came out of the side of the cover plate and the gear is halfway off. I tried taking the gear completely off with gear puller but did not work.....if any dealer sells the bolt it would be much appreciated to know...thanks

Avaryan

Aug 24, 2011
West Virginia
The bolt that holds the smaller gear, what is the size of it? Mine unscrewed and came out of the side of the cover plate and the gear is halfway off. I tried taking the gear completely off with gear puller but did not work.....if any dealer sells the bolt it would be much appreciated to know...thanks
Pistonbikes.com sells them. I think there is more than one size.