Minivan converted to steal gas in Florida

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ron,
That link locked my computer twice. Are you sure it's okay?

If the content is what I think it is, it's not a new idea. Back in 1966 there was an airman stationed at Hill AFB in Utah that was caught sucking gasoline from the underground tanks at gas stations at night. He had a hole cut in the floor of his van and an electric fuel pump and hoses long enough to reach the gasoline. He'd park his van over the fill caps, open the trap door and remove the cap, drop the hose down and fill his tank. He got caught by a sharp eyed cop who saw his arm sticking out of the floor of the van early one morning before the station opened.

In Georgia, back in the 80s, there was a ring of thieves who would dig down to a gasoline transfer pipe, weld on a bung then pierce the pipe and pump out gas. They'd do this out in the boonies where they were out of sight and probably wouldn't have been caught but one night something went wrong and they caused an huge explosion and fire. After that the oil companies started using airplanes to monitor the underground pipes lookin for signs of digging.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Yea same idea,I remember watching it on TV but with prices as high a $5.99 a gallon at some stations in Florida, I just had to laugh.

Oh and the link was from a NEWS page.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok never mind if I was a police officer. But if I saw gas over flowing it would not be that complicated to me to turn turn the darn thing off lol. I can see where perhaps a officer is looking for the get a way car tho.