Water in Magneto

GoldenMotor.com

gsavsag

Jan 25, 2010
Manhattan Beach, CA
Hi all im new to motor biking and tinkering, just got my first kit from zoombicycles about a month ago and had no problem installing my kit on my huffy beach cruiser. Recently it has been raining a lot and i got a bunch of water in the magneto housing as there was a crack in the gasket. Idiot that i was thought it would be ok to ride in the pouring rain as i have no other means of transportation at the moment. So my magneto got soaked and completely water logged. I took a hair dryer to it dried it out but now i see some rust has formed around the inside, guess i didnt dry it fast enough. I have cleaned the rust but now I can't get it to turn over at all is it probable that the magneto itself is shot entirely?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome gsavsag, glad you joined us.

It's a very good chance that the mag is fried. I got water in mine one time and sprayed it with WD-40 and it worked fine. But I think I just got real lucky.

I ride in the rain all the time (when it does rain here) I am just more cautious that the cover is sealed really well. I also seal the rubber where the wires goes into the cover. I believe that where the water entered for me.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hi 2t's is my name,
Do we have to worrie about timming when we put a new mag in ?
No.
The magneto coil will only go one way. It isn't a distributor, just a coil that mounts to the engine case with the four screws. Install the new one just as the old one came out. Be careful with the wires, don't break any solder joints and do as Dave31 suggested, seal the hole where the wires exit the case with silicone sealant to keep water out.
I like to run a bead of silicone on the gasket too, just for asurance.
Tom

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
No.
The magneto coil will only go one way. It isn't a distributor, just a coil that mounts to the engine case with the four screws. Install the new one just as the old one came out. Be careful with the wires, don't break any solder joints and do as Dave31 suggested, seal the hole where the wires exit the case with silicone sealant to keep water out.
I like to run a bead of silicone on the gasket too, just for asurance.
Tom
good advice,

if I could I would like to add a hint... getting the holes to line up is a little tricky.

use a strip of old bicycle tire tube to put in between the magneto and engine casing. the magnet is quite strong and will want to grab one way or another. if I remember correctly.... mine wanted to grab the top. the rubber will help to reduce that problem.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
good advice,

if I could I would like to add a hint... getting the holes to line up is a little tricky.

use a strip of old bicycle tire tube to put in between the magneto and engine casing. the magnet is quite strong and will want to grab one way or another. if I remember correctly.... mine wanted to grab the top. the rubber will help to reduce that problem.
Try a business card between the magnet and the coil. It should give you just about the right spacing while you tighten the four screws.
Tom

longrider.scott

Nov 8, 2010
California
I've replaced several magnetos for my customers without any trouble with holes lining up. Make sure to get all 4 screws started before trying to tighten the screws down and don't over tighten these little babies. These will strip out easily. The magneto will self align so no need to be concerned with correct spacing.

When putting the silicone sealer around the wires and cover be sure to put a small amount in the holes where the cover screws go.

To check for spark; remove the spark plug and connect the spark plug cable to the plug. Get a friend to hold the spark plug against the cylinder head while you turn the engine over. If all is well you will see a spark at the spark plug.