Mounting the Engine in different angles

GoldenMotor.com

madwheels37

Jul 27, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Is it possible to mount a motor whether 2 or 4 stroke in any angle? Would like to place one in mind at an angle facing rearward such as the sprocket facing down more to be placed over the rear wheel.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With a 4 stroke you have to consider the crankcase and the oil it contains. They have to be pretty close to level. The 2 stroke however can be mounted in any position with the only consideration being chain angle where it enters and leaves the engine case and carburetor level. The engine itself doesn't care how it is mounted. Hope this answers your question.
Tom

madwheels37

Jul 27, 2010
Bradenton, FL
it does help a lot thank you. Do you know if it would be possible to make a special pipe for the carburetor to connect to so as to make the engine sit in any position I want then have the carb sitting upright in a different place? Also is it logical to cut out where the chain would hit against the bottom of the casing?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are we talking about the Chinese 2 stroke engine?
Custom made intake manifolds have been made by builders needing them for clearance and other considerations. Your idea might require that you fabricate what you need or modify a stock manifold. Not difficult if you can weld or solder.
As for cutting into the clutch actuator cover or engine case here's where you might get into trouble. The clutch linkage/actuator cover is held on with three screws. The bottom one is just about where you'd need to cut. Not a good idea because the cover is an integral part of the actuator. It is possible to get a lot of downward slant to the chain and if I understand you correctly that's the direction you want to go. But I wouldn't cut or alter the clutch actuator cover by removing that bottom screw. I hope I understand your mounting idea. It sounds like you want to mount the engine behind the seat? It has been done but the one I saw utilized a jackshaft whereby the engine drive chain drove a shaft with sprockets that then through a second chain, drove the rear wheel. Strange, but possible.
Tom