Ask Norman... lol

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The Norm Abrams of motor bikes. For those of you not from the usa Norm Abrams is a master carpenter on this old house. The PBS tv show here.

Okay Norm your first questions. My engine sounds fine but my bike lurches. I'm thinking Clutch is slipping. Bike has less than a hundred miles on it. What's up with that.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
When you say lurching are you going slow as in too slow?Both of my bikes will lurch if I go too slow and if I speed up the lurching stops.
I'll have to do a picture post on the clutch, what it lools like, how it works,and adjustments.

There is some info on the clutch but very little on my post for engine tear down by the way Deacon did you like it? Would've been nice when you were tearing yours down at least I think it would have.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
i thought you didnt want us to look till you finished. Yeah on the lurch it stop when i speed up so thanks thats all i needed to know....not too slow but not full throttle either. I think the clutch might just need wearing it since it is less than a hundred miles on it.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The Norm Abrams of motor bikes. For those of you not from the usa Norm Abrams is a master carpenter on this old house. The PBS tv show here.

Okay Norm your first questions. My engine sounds fine but my bike lurches. I'm thinking Clutch is slipping. Bike has less than a hundred miles on it. What's up with that.
Have you done the standard clutch check out and adjust?

YouTube - bicycle engine kit clutch checklist

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Didnt even know there was one till i saw the video... If all does not go well in a day or two I'll take a look see. Meantime I'm just drive the devil out of it to see what is what. I am going to pull that cover to put a bit of grease on the gears so I'll take a look at the place to make sure it is clean.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Sorry but stretching the spring he shows in the video does not make the clutch grip better that spring helps hold the pressure plate off the friction pads. The spring that makes the clutch grip is internal and not visible in this video. I'll have to take mine apart sometime to show and tell.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
WE can look into that when I get back. We are leavin in a few minutes. You all be good and don't convert any members from the other site. Ya hear.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Norm, I got a question just now,Why,do we not use carbs like 4 strokes and weedeaters,and chain saws with the butterfly throttle plate instead of the slide carb that comes with the 2 stroke kit?
I realize it would have to be adapted but they come with adjustments for idle and higher speeds ,and slides and needles seem to give such problems