Clutch wont work?

GoldenMotor.com

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
Hi guys Ive been trying to get this new BGF slant 66 to run for just about 3 months and the clutch seems to be bad? I had it running three times but as it broke in the clutch stopped grabbing. I have been trying to tightin the main nut by taking out the clutch cable bolt and tighting the nut but it wont get tight. I see the indent that I use to tighten the clutch nut moving across the clutch cable bolt hole but the main clutch nut is not getting tight and I cant get this thing to start? Anyone have any ideas?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Excerpt from one of my other posts...

If you really want to make a BIG difference in your clutch...remove the friction pieces and trim them slightly along the edges so that they float in the gear...not a light press fit. This will give you a positive engagement at both the inner hub and the pressure plate effectively doubling your useable clutch friction surface. This is how the clutch was designed and was intended to work. On most of these engines the friction material is just crammed into the gear.

Jim

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
To me your post is very confusing. Are you just trying to tighten the cable or do you have the side cover off and messing with the actual clutch ? I think your talking about the cable only.

Take some pictures of what your trying to do. I wanna see the clutch arm that comes out of the engine and your clutch lever adjustment bolt/nut. Basically both ends of the cable.

A picture is worth a thousand headaches !

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
r00t4rd3d,

This is what he is referring to:

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/external-adjustment-primary-clutch-spring-4851.html

With some kits the clutch is excessively tight...i.e. the clutch lever is overly hard to pull.

A few years ago I figured out why, and made a thread to explain how to ease the pressure on the clutch lever.

This info was quickly turned into advice, (in the reverse), to help everyone resolve a slipping clutch by tightening the spring collar. What started out as help for the guy who had a crazy tight clutch lever...turned into a fiasco.

It's not a good idea to tighten the spring unless you have a thorough knowledge of how the clutch works.

The #1 cause of clutch slippage is as described in my previous post.

When you get to the point of fine tuning the engine, and adding performance parts such as a tuned pipe...it may be necessary to tighten up the clutch spring a bit.

I've had many...many...of these engines apart. The main clutch spring is adjusted correctly 99% of the time.

Jim

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
I have adjusted a bunch of times but my clutch still feels like its slipping at higher rpm and uphill. should i buy a rebuild kit?