Hole in the what?!?!

GoldenMotor.com

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Well I decided to take the bike for a nice long ride on Monday. It was a great ride, nice temp, sunny skies, amd very little traffic. It was about 15 miles into the trip when I felt something drip on my leg. I really paid no attention and figured it was a bug splatting. Then the next thing I knew, I smelled gas and my leg was pretty soaked. I pulled over to see what was goin on and the bolt next to the petcock had a 3/4 inch tear right where it meets the tank. I was able to stop the leak well enough with a piece of a towel I had in my tool kit. Thank god there was enough fuel in the tank to get me straight back home, cuz that day I went the windy and hilly route....
I pulled the tank from the bike, rinsed it out and air dried it several times. Then I sanded all around the crack so I could braze it. I brazed all around the bolt and let it cool overnight. After that I taped it and threw a few coats of paint on there and it looks pretty good.
Put it back on the bike, filled the tank and took of riding today. Worked like a charm!!!

Attachments

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Derks,
Nice repair! Noticed a little paint transfer in the tunnel area?? I used those rubber vibe pieces that come with the kit, superglued them to the tank,, put wax paper on frame and set tank on frame, glue dried, worked great, just a tip.
Mac

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Hey guys, no I just used maybe 2 inches of the rod.
Thanks for the tip. I also cut a couple pieces of 1 inch rubber tubing and placed them on the frame before mounting the tank. Works fine now, tight and no tilting.