The WayBack Machine

GoldenMotor.com

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
This bike started out from humble beginnings. An early '70s Murray and about the same vintage Western Flyer. Full strip and rebuild with a few added touches just to make things interesting. I had newsboy bikes as a kid (to actually deliver newspapers) but they were police auction bikes and nothing like the deluxe ones of the day. Actually I wish I still had my old Rollfast. What a tough beast.
The powerplant is a Subaru 4 stroke EHO35 driving a pocket bike X2 CVT
Anyway, A small list of features added:
*Springer front fork
*Ducktail full fenders
*Deluxe cruiser seat
*Grubee freewheel rear hub w/ 11ga. spokes and band brake
*Sturmey/Archer drum brake front hub w/12 ga. spokes
*7ah 12V battery for lighting/horn system
*12V-6W bottle generator to recharge said battery
*Slightly overboard lighting system w/turn signals, volt/amp gauges coming soon
(I commute in the dark)
OK, on with the show

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Peabody here, this is my boy Sherman. Frekin awesome Wayne! Really sweet!

For folks who dunno about "The wayback machine", Mr Peabody and his boy, Sherman; Mister Peabody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The joke was Mr Peabody was a dog. Was too funny. One of the best parts of Rocky and Bullwinkle. They, using the wayback machine, would go back in history and help famous and historical folks fix things and history. Mostly threw the use of great one liner jokes and very bad puns.

For the love of good! Some one post a clip!? I couldn't find one and dinner is ready.

Or as Bullwinkle says; "I take a 7 and a half"

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Wc, Looks Super Great, Swell Elegant! I Want One, With An Owners Manual. It Looks Combat And Road Ready! Thanks For Sharing. How Many Miles Have You Logged On It, Top Speed And Mpg?? Ron .cvlt1

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Thanks Guys,
Dan, I call it the WayBack Machine because it takes me back to a simpler time in my life where my bike WAS my life. Every day an adventure and the BEST times I never had on a motorbike (such things were DISALLOWED then; daddy was a cop). And yes, I'm a graduate of Whatsamatter U, class of '61.

Ron, you know as much about that bike as I do! haha It has very good maners. . . it doesn't need to be chained to the porch like some I've heard of. And don't be hurting yourself swingin' a leg over. Try this and get back on that thing. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
BTW, I've logged (yes I keep a log 'cause I use it for work and write off everything I can) over 1400 miles CVT (another 2K on the engine as a friction driver). Top speed is a mere 27 MPH (flat--no wind).
Best recorded fuel mileage--120mpg.

Finfan--PLEASE TELL ME YOU EDITED YOUR POST. In my mail notification your post was much longer and more specific. I've had problems with Mods and/or Admin. dumping my posts and hope that isn't what's happened here or I'll be gone. I'll answer your questions as I know them tho.
No white wire on a Subaru/Robin engine. The bottle generator puts out 12V ac@6W. The photo with the battery and the little Radio Shack $2 Bridge Rectifier is what charges the battery. A complete wiring diagram would be rediculously lenghty. Suffice to say tho as far as charging, its really simple. That little electronic device has 4 leads. The outer 2 are battery + and -. The inner 2 go to the generator and it doesn't matter which to which 'cause the generator is AC. When the generator spins it puts out 12v ac current to that rectifier which switches it to dc current and out to charge the battery. Then each circuit (except the low amp draw LEDs are fused and each has a relay. Wiring for the relays are on the package with the relay or lighting system. I will say this. The bottle generators do not hold up well at our speeds. I only use it at lower speeds like in the neighborhood or in local parks and such under 20 mph. Otherwise the bearings self destruct. The one in the photo is my 3rd.
I think I finally learned!!! Also, the charger only helps prolong the battery charge in that case, allowing me to stay out a little longer than without. I still put it on the plug-in charger when I get home. Here is a pic of the Torpedo light and relay. There is another relay in there now for the horn.
WC

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
WayneC (quote)
(No white wire on a Subaru/Robin engine. The bottle generator puts out 12V ac@6W. The photo with the battery and the little Radio Shack $2 Bridge Rectifier is what charges the battery. A complete wiring diagram would be rediculously lenghty. Suffice to say tho as far as charging, its really simple. That little electronic device has 4 leads. The outer 2 are battery + and -. The inner 2 go to the generator and it doesn't matter which to which 'cause the generator is AC. When the generator spins it puts out 12v ac current to that rectifier which switches it to dc current and out to charge the battery.)

A rectifier isn't really necessary. I've been running for several months, charging, or at least 'maintaining' my 6V circuit with the AC output from my mag. I realize you're not running a Chinese 2 stroke with a white wire but 6v AC is 6v AC no matter the source. My mags put out a variable voltage, anywhere from 5.2 to 8.7 depending on rpm, and my battery seems to like it. I also use a plug in trickle charger when I'm not riding but experimentation has shown I can get two hours plus from my lights (that's as long as I've ridden at night) I was skeptical about charging with AC but an engineer that designs battery powered systems told me that it would work. I'm on the same battery, SLA 6v, 5.5 AH, I installed last winter and its still hanging in there. I have two curcuits, a 12v system for the 55 watt headlight and a 6v system for tail light, brake light and the two mini-quartz lights that mount under the big headlight.
Tom

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Finfan--PLEASE TELL ME YOU EDITED YOUR POST. In my mail notification your post was much longer and more specific. I've had problems with Mods and/or Admin. dumping my posts and hope that isn't what's happened here or I'll be gone.

Nicely done Wayne, but geeze, what's with the 'tude?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
It may actaully help! I remember seeing a product that went to diesel truck batteries, which would actaully cause an AC charging condition with a vary fast cycle. It was supposed to charge faster at lower RPM for diesel trucks in very cold conditions that must idle or run 24/7, while powering heaters, appliances, cabin lights and heavy truck lights, possibly tools too.

I liked the folding step you listed from harbor freight! I want to put one on my pickup bed when I get another 4wheel vehicle. Thanks!
(p)

WayneC (quote)
(No white wire on a Subaru/Robin engine. The bottle generator puts out 12V ac@6W. The photo with the battery and the little Radio Shack $2 Bridge Rectifier is what charges the battery. A complete wiring diagram would be rediculously lenghty. Suffice to say tho as far as charging, its really simple. That little electronic device has 4 leads. The outer 2 are battery + and -. The inner 2 go to the generator and it doesn't matter which to which 'cause the generator is AC. When the generator spins it puts out 12v ac current to that rectifier which switches it to dc current and out to charge the battery.)

A rectifier isn't really necessary. I've been running for several months, charging, or at least 'maintaining' my 6V circuit with the AC output from my mag. I realize you're not running a Chinese 2 stroke with a white wire but 6v AC is 6v AC no matter the source. My mags put out a variable voltage, anywhere from 5.2 to 8.7 depending on rpm, and my battery seems to like it. I also use a plug in trickle charger when I'm not riding but experimentation has shown I can get two hours plus from my lights (that's as long as I've ridden at night) I was skeptical about charging with AC but an engineer that designs battery powered systems told me that it would work. I'm on the same battery, SLA 6v, 5.5 AH, I installed last winter and its still hanging in there. I have two curcuits, a 12v system for the 55 watt headlight and a 6v system for tail light, brake light and the two mini-quartz lights that mount under the big headlight.
Tom

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Has anybody measured the output of the grubee type motor's electrical systems? Its possible they put out more than 6v at open throttle.

Has anybody tried charging a 12v 7ampHr lead acid battery (those gray block batteries) with the mo bike? Even if it stays around 6 or 8 volts, it might work well and have a lot of capacity. Or might be a flop. If anyone has tried, please reply or mohdoggies @ y!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
My tinypic posted. Per the forum rules, you might just post the http:// links to the photos, then you can make them as large as you want and just list them with a description of each.

Your battery strapping method looks very secure, but kind of ugly for such a pretty bike. Perhaps one of those leather or faux leather roll-up handlebar bags would be the ticket. You could stitch something to it and set it under the seat bag with a quick link outside the bag for access. I've been using a 7ampHR battery in a walmart hikers belt fanny pack, wrapped in some soft insulation from a HVAC filter excess that was cut off.

Sheesh! 5 photo limit? I thought this was the Pictures and Videos forum.
How chinsy.
Well, here are some pics of the electricals.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
What part did you use from the pocketbike. I had an old one that was wrecked and some bastard still cut the cable and stole it from my house!

I was going to make a moped of it.

You used a different motor, but how did you connect it to the pocket bike clutch? Did you retain the 12v starter/alternator and pull start?