Hybrid?

GoldenMotor.com

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
After a shot of Jack and a beer chaser... I think I have come up with a solution to my dilemma.

My house is on a hill 4 miles from town and 600' higher in elevation. The narrow, two lane road leading up into the development has a 45MPh speed limit and most drivers go faster. Also, the road has a few short,but really steep sections.

Add to this the California Moped law that limits a gas powered bike to 2 HP and 30MPH, and an electric one to 1000W and 20mph.

As you can see, a regular Moped is out of the question. but how about a Hybrid? Truth is I'm thinking about breaking the law (a little bit). I don't know how piratical it is, but how about a regular 2HP powered bike towing a trailer that hides an electric motor and batteries?

The gas engine would be used most of the time and make up for the extra weight of the trailer etc. When I start up the hill I could hit the E-power boost to maintain the 30MPH that would keep me out of most traffic trouble.

What do you think? Crazy, or will it actually work?

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
Probably, but...

I think I will have to vid the worst part and post it on Utube. Before I stripped the bike down to paint I tried it on a very short and steep hill. Even as big as I am it pulled OK, at about 5MPH. Going that slow on the main road would be a death wish! Tight road with lots of twisties and SUVs going "**** bent for leather"!