Stripped Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

hi4noon

Jul 21, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi all,

New here, first build. OCC chopper with a Grubee skyhawk gt5 and about an hour of riding before i broke

At the very least, I stripped the clutch shaft that the big nut threads on to secure the drive sprocket. In doing so, the engine spins freely and my chain doesn't respond when i rev the engine.

Why did this happen?? Now my drive sprocket is of course not in perfect alignment with the rear wheel sprocket (Apparently I can't eyeball a straight drill line), so could that have been the problem? Or is it just cheap china parts? My chain is tension is pretty tight as i need to clear the chopper bike's rear wheel frame.

Is this an relatively easy fix or should I go for a replacement engine? Should i figure some way to attach the chain idler in the future?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated... in the meantime, I will return to the garage and take apart the clutch assembly to investigate more.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like you sheared the key on the front shaft (small gear).

How do you start it if the engine spins freely form the drive?

hi4noon

Jul 21, 2009
Massachusetts
yea, good way of putting it. Any advice to prevent shearing it again?

It failed while i was riding it, about 15 minutes away from home i realized i could no longer accelerate. I stopped to check it out and it kept chugging. It still provided a little bit of drive, just enough to cancel out it's drag while i pedaled home. When I got back home I had to suffocate the engine to stop it as my kill switch is broken.

I was just in the garage taking apart the clutch assembly when i got the gear puller stuck trying to take the big gear off. Sipping a pint of guinness now :)