gas not mixed wright

GoldenMotor.com

john clampit

Aug 19, 2009
ann arbor, mich
I know it was stupid but I added some oil directly to my gas tank, just to give a little extra lubrication. About half way threw the tank, my bike lost power and quit running. I got it started again, then it quit again and I could not restart it. If the gas not being mixed is the problem, can I just drain the gas and remix it, and keep trying to start the motor ? I am going to try putting a gasket on the carb but I don't think this is the problem. Also I have had the motor working well for 8 months, untill now. I just replaced the carb a week ago and it was working fine. Is the motor ruined if the gas was the problem?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd drain the carb too. You might have a bowl full of oil instead of a mix. If it is an older carb it might not have a drain screw at the bottom in which case you will need to remove the bowl to clean it. Unmixed oil will settle to the bottom of your tank and then into the carb. You might want to pull the spark plug too and clean it...just in case.
Tom

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
oil is heavier and floats to bottom of tank by fuel pickup valve that feeds directly to carb. You have oil in your carb...easy to drain and fix.

Don't be embarrassed, I learned the hard way and did this once too :)