Throttle broke

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Today my throttle cable broke. it didnt break while riding,it broke before i even started it,i was checking the throttle and the end of the cable piece snapped off in the throttle handle.
i needed a quick fix,need to go to the store plus im not spending any money on a new crap throttle.
so i mounted a brake lever next to the throttle and using a small bolt and a couple of washers i was able to make a end stopper for the cable and connected it to the brake lever, i kept the old throttle
on to use as a handle grip and plus i still wanted to keep the kill switch,the engine will stop if i close the choke instead. i tested the brake lever throttle and it works better than the twist throttle.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Go to the hardware store. Buy a nylon washer, not plastic, big enough for the handle bar to fit through, get epoxy. Epoxy washer on plastic end of throttle, cut/dremel the washer to match the outline of the original. Much stronger. Washer cost about $2.20.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Its the metal cable end that broke off, not the plastic throttle.
the brake lever is working great for the throttle,i made a cable end out of a bolt+nut and 2 washers,stays tight. and the throttle springs back when i let go,unlike the stock one which didnt have much spring back. plus i can operate the throttle with 2 fingers,no twisting needed.

now only if the throttle cable was the same as a brake cable i could replace it,but the end that goes into the carb slide has a smaller end than a regualar brake cable.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can make a new throttle cable end with solder!
Drill a 1/8" hole- 3/16" deep into a piece of hard wood.
Put the end of the cable into the hole & melt some solder into the hole.
Let it cool & pull it out... You now have a new throttle cable!!! (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks for the tip about the solder.
i dont have a soldering iron can i use a lighter? and what kind of solder?
Karl,
A small cheapo soldering iron will only be a few dollars, probably under $10.00 at the hardware store. It's a good tool to have. Use almost any solder for the cable end repairs. 95/5 is a good hard solder with a slightly higher melting point than 50/50 or some of TV/Radio kind. Acid core or rosen core will work too but you need to clean the cable well after soldering if you use acid core. You'll want a flux too to clean the metal while soldering. Any good paste flux should work, but 'No Corrode' is the best I've used. Venice boy's idea is good and will work perfectly. I use 3/32" brass tubing, available at hobby shops for the carb end of the throttle cable. Cut a piece about 1/8" long and solder it to the cable. Same idea as Venice's just a different approach.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Go to the hardware store. Buy a nylon washer, not plastic, big enough for the handle bar to fit through, get epoxy. Epoxy washer on plastic end of throttle, cut/dremel the washer to match the outline of the original. Much stronger. Washer cost about $2.20.
Curious pict please if you will?

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
yeah, that's good advice from 2-door about soldering cables - if you use just a resin core self-fluxing solder it can be difficult to get it to take to steel cable, but it'll be done in a flash if you use a fluxing agent as well - in fact with a good fluxing agent it's easy to use a torch or lighter even ...

i'd only add that lead-free solder is a devil to use -very strange stuff indeed

60/40 or 50/50 tin/lead & fluxing agent would be my first grab for this job - whether to bother with a soldering iron or not .... that would depend how lazy i was feeling

but watch out for lead-free solder

restapukin
X
his mark