Cebtrifugal clutch users

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 16, 2016
america
I just finished installing a C clutch with a shift kit and everything is working fine. But it is extremely hard to turn the engine over. I have to stand and jump on the pedal to even get it turning and even then the clutch slips after half a turn. I don't even have the carb or exhaust attached yet so I'd think it would be extremely easy to turn. Is this normal? I'm thinking about just getting a pull start if it is. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
There is no centrifugal clutch I know of that uses a one way bearing. In order to kick start it with a shift kit.... well, you couldn't. So whatever clutch you have that has a one way bearing, that must not engage by only the bell spinning, or it may take a lot of rpm for it to happen.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
These threads on centrifugal clutches have been an education for me. I don't ever remember seeing this many choices and configurations in the 1950's and 60's.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Sounds like the cover may be binding on the gears. Take it back apart and see if you can reassemble it without the clutch covers.

Also, you may have run in to the same problem everyone has. The centrifugal clutch cover is too thin and needs to be spaced out. I didn't open your YouTube video, but it's probably the aussie that wants you to use 5 or 6 gaskets. Did you have to do that?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Agreen is right try it with the covers off.

The CG auto clutches do have a one way so you can pedal start. You have two clutches. Manual and auto. I ran one on a build and really liked it.
Start it with the manual clutch auto it after that.

Don't know about starting a shifter bike but it would make shifting easier just by letting off the throttle.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
america
I tried it without the cover an it seems a little easier but i still have to jump on the pedal to turn it. I'm goint to take the whole cluch apart and make sure everything's okay and try it again.

Mar 16, 2016
america
Everything is fine with the clutch and it is turning over (sort of) now. There wass a little scraping of the clutch bell on the cover so i just filed it down maybe half a mil and it's fine now. Looking through the ratios from the pedals to the clutch it does make sense that it would e hard to turn. I'm just going to get a pull start for ease of use.

Agreen to answer your question yes it is that video and no i just used the two that came with it. From what i understand the guy in the video did that solely so he could get a WD-40 straw into the gears because he was having issues with lubrucation. I decided against it because i think most of his lubrication issues stem from the fact that he's using WD-40, a degreaser, on greased parts.

Mar 16, 2016
america
Ill try that tomorrow morning. There's no carb or exhaust on it yet but i guess the spark plug would still make a seal when it's in the top of the cylinder.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Some of these kits ran oil in the case for the clutch. Mine had the plug. So I tried it. I guess the clutch had the wrong friction material as it slipped too much. Sure was nice having the gears in an oil bath as well as the clutch parts.
My BT80 was designed to run oil in the clutch which is basically the same type. I am running 80-90wt with no problems.