Front Brakes on a Coaster Brake Bike

GoldenMotor.com

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
Hey all,

So today I went to WalMart and picked up another Schwinn Point Beach and a Schwinn Del Mar for $200 (for the both of them) :ride2:. What's even better is I have 2 more engines on the way! I think Wally World is lowering the prices on bikes to clear inventory for fall/winter...

Anyways, the Del Mar has coaster brakes only. I've seen talk around here about those being unsafe and to add front brakes yourself. Which method have you guys found to be the best for adding front brakes? Drill holes? Weld brackets on? Get a new fork? Something I haven't thought of? Oh, and where is a good place to buy the parts needed, like a kit?

Thanks Much!

Last edited:

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
If you really want some safety on brakes, you should go for a disc brake setup. Just like you would find on a motor cycle. Very reliable and not too difficult to attach to your front forks.

Maximo

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
Ah, perfect, that's exactly why I posted this thread...hadn't thought of that.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I installed a $12 generic front v-brake onto my new Raleigh cruiser bike with coaster brake. When I upgraded to a suspension fork, I had to use a different front brake. So I re-installed the generic front brake onto a 1976 Schwinn bike.

There is a hole in the center of most forks that will accept the generic front v-brake.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I love wall mart bike prices I picked up a brand new Roadmaster Mt fury steel frame mountain bike for $39.00 around christmas last year.( color change from silver to blue!)

I always check the bikes now.

I recommended ginni rinni to a member here.
He must have installed the front drum brake wrong.
approx $30.00 plus shipping Plus installation.

Rini Enterprises
look under old school bmx hubs number 30 or 31

The only trouble I have had is trying to stop buying goodies.