OK, absolute newb here.......

GoldenMotor.com

KevininPa

Mar 25, 2016
PA
......and looking for info. Might even be looking for info for at least a year so I have a solid plan ( And of course, enough money to build two bikes for an older married couple). A little background might be in order. In my fifties, in good shape but a lifetime of manual labor pretty much done in the joints with arthritis. Wife also, bad car accident did her knees in. Have a couple of Giant electric bikes. They're OK on flat ground but we live in a hilly rural area. We don't care about pedaling on flat ground, after all, we use these for exercise too. But the e-motors won't tackle the hills here. We can pedal to assist but still working hard. Knees and hips are screaming the next day. I also know my way around a regular bicycle pretty well. Been working on them off and on for years. Between ours, the stepsons, all his friends, family etc. Once the word gets around type of deal. Huh, and pretty soon the granddaughters! And probably their friends! So yeah, I'm mechanically inclined and good with my hands.

These will be ground up builds. So I already decided on 79cc Predators( with 49cc stickers, being in Pa and all). Not that my locals will care, they'll probably stop us to ask questions and want their own! With Qmatic drives.

My current question is about this frame:

http://www.bikeberry.com/bbr-tuning-26-motorized-bicycle-frame-w-2-4l-gas-tank-white-2392.html

I have not seen a lot about this frame here. And I have punched in search various phrases about aluminum and frames, etc. I have seen one where the motor mount cracked. I know a gentleman who is a certified welder who does TIG. He also builds custom Harley's. I'm sure he'll do some gusset work for me on this frame. The wife and I really like the built in gas tank idea. The roads here are rough. Chip and oil style. But not much traffic to force you over to the bad stuff. Will be used a little off road in Tioga County to get around the family getaway property, but that's an occasional thing.

Planning on springer forks, disc brakes and will have more questions about gearing and climbing hills in the future. Not looking for speed demons(yet!). Looking for basic, reliable haulers. I am planning on a small trailer for mine. As we're climbing in years, we're looking at B class motor homes. These builds will compliment this type of vacation nicely.

Thank you in advance for any info on these frames or anything else about aluminum frames. I'm personally leaning towards steel for strength, but I do like how everything is built into that aluminum one.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
We're glad you joined up.

I've built nothing but two strokes, so I can't tell you much about the Predator. Still, you're in hilly country and you might need a bit more power than the 79 cc will give.

In genuinely hilly country, in fact, more than one engine gear might be absolutely necessary. In that case, maybe you ought to consider a shift kit such as Sick Bike Parts offers.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=i9dql462pccaa5he4a949ilsg5

I've considered it myself. But I don't deal with enough hills to make it a must.

And the frame you've pointed to has a good reputation and it's clearly pretty nice. But I have heard that some knock-offs are not really all that good. It might be smart to stick with the 'name brand'. And that, I think, is Skyhawk. Am I right on that, folks?

Others'll come along with more detailed knowledge than I.

So have fun and best of luck.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Stay away from aluminum and springer forks. Aluminum frames will crack easier than steel, and springers don't have any damping. Old steel cruisers make the best MBs. Forks? There is the suntour xcm which is stronger, lighter, and has better but still not much damping than the springers. And they come with disc mounts! Or pick up a felt slant bicycle these are great for 4-stroke builds, and they have the 1-1/8 head tube so you can run any modern shock fork like a good rockshox.

It's not so much more effort to put a gas tank on any frame. Just use rubber sheet under the tank where the mounts are and you're golden.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
As we're climbing in years, we're looking at B class motor homes. These builds will compliment this type of vacation nicely.
Ha, that's what got me into this, having transportation without having to tow a car behind my class A.

KevininPa

Mar 25, 2016
PA
blue g- I don't think that the shift kits are legal in Pa. And once we travel I'm not sure about most of the legalities of places we go. That's why I might just gear down for hills and lose higher speeds as a trade off. Gonna rely on being responsible old goats to avoid legal problems.

Beginner- yeah, been leaning towards steel the whole time. Just like how everything seems to be built into that frame. I don't weld anymore, but I know a good fitter who can tig. Been pricing old Schwinns and Ross's. Wish I would've kept my old Schwinn Hybrid!

Tyler- Yep! Don't feel like towing!

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Welcome, properly Kevin. Glad to hear of two more joining the ranks of gassers.

I agree with the previous posts, no lum lum! But, I like springers, so... Also, I too am a two stroker... But I've heard good things about the predators. As older folks, and motorbikers you wouldn't be bothered in Arizona, so come enjoy the summer! The mountains are perfect right now!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I disagree with the aluminum bashing. I own one of those frames and have driven the snot out of it over the past year. It's showing zero signs of stress fractures. The key is tighten everything down, don't use rubber engine mounts, and use a good suspension fork. The frame is also known as a gt2-a or gt2-as. Several people here have them, and I have not yet heard of a cracked frame yet. And I'll be willing to bet if there is one, it's one of those awful "80cc" unbalanced 2 strokes that will vibrate your body so bad you won't want to ride for more than 10 minutes.

Take a look in the "pictures" section. There's a thread just for that frame. You can see some real quality work some people put in to them.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Sorry, Agreen, I only recommend steel over aluminum for ease of repair. If properly constructed, aluminum will hold up just fine, better in some cases I'd imagine, but if, IF something did happen, steel is easier to fix, i.e. weld.

Mr. Kevin has expressed newbageness, I expressed the opinion I felt best suited. However, the skyhawk style frame has produced some beautiful builds, and I know a lot of members are hard on their bikes, myself included. I'm sure Kevin knows to do his homework and gain some experience before developing his own opinions on MB frames, and that it will evolve, for instance, I've recently convinced myself that a stretch cruiser frame, with pedals forward is perfect for my own lanky frame. I just have to ride one to find out, unfortunately, I'll have to buy it to learn...

Kevin, I'm sure you'll have to do something similar. All the best photos in the world won't tell you how it feels while you're on it. I built Tanglebones out of dire need to save on boots, he was perfect and still is, a number of threads document my ongoing love affair with my bike, but now I have an idea for another perfect bike. Tanglebones and I will not be parted, but his name does have a literal meaning, I could be more comfortable.

On that note, try out the skyhawk, despite my earlier advise, it's actually not a bad idea. But only buy and build one, you and your wife will be able to tell if the frame and motor are what you want.

Only one more thing for this ramble...

Consider the weight. You want to avoid towing behind your RV, that means lifting. A ChinaGirl KIT ships at 25lbs, add weight of bike and sleep on it. Tanglebones weighs 55lbs. I can't quote fourstroke weights....but, two strokes are renowned for higher power to weight ratios, twos are lighter for a given engine size (typically). As for hills, it's 50 miles from work to the ranch, and Heber is 1000 feet higher than snowflake AZ, yet I only pedal to start... No good for exercise, I know, just sayin...

Last edited:

KevininPa

Mar 25, 2016
PA
"Consider the weight. You want to avoid towing behind your RV, that means lifting. A ChinaGirl KIT ships at 25lbs, add weight of bike and sleep on it. Tanglebones weighs 55lbs. I can't quote fourstroke weights....but, two strokes are renowned for higher power to weight ratios, twos are lighter for a given engine size (typically)"

I know a good welder/fitter. Used to be one myself years ago. Now I just design what I want and have my buddy do it. I help with the fabricating but he does the welds. Not worried about weight because I'm planning on customizing one of those cargo racks that slip into a hitch receiver with either a set of ramps out of "C" channel. Or maybe just one movable one. Another reason why I might lean towards steel. He also builds custom motorcycles. I can design some gussets( frame strengthening ) and motormounts and have him weld them on. That way I don't have to use one of those bolt on racks. Won't have to worry about it vibrating loose. Just bolt and Loctite onto the frame and go!

Last edited: