Sat OCT 20th 2012 @ Grange Motor Circuit SOCAL MOTOR BICYCLE RACING

GoldenMotor.com

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
Hey Neil, looking forward to the race at Grange again. The weather should be perfect and the track is a blast to ride. I'll be there late Friday afternoon to settle in. Bring both bikes again - this is going to be fun!

Bike Updates: Welded in gussets and added an additional engine mount to stabilize the 196cc engine in the frame - it really doesn't handle the horsepower all that well. Scotto is doing it right with his bike! Also hoping to make time for carb changes on the Honda GHX50 so I can catch those screaming 2-stroke bikes.

Attachments

Last edited:

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
The seat has been part of the bike since the last race at Grange. Truthfully, it's a bit large, but the style is right. Anyone know of a good source for seats like it?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I'm on the other end of the ebike spectrum !!!

I have LITERALLY been pushing against the "motorcycle retard" trend since about late 2007.

My view is that the "Low Powered Ebike" should be the standard. (under 2k)

So don't assume we are all like liveforphysics... :)
Are you gonna be at the track with a police whistle trying to make every one slow down and completely stop racing? Altogether ?
.shft.

I wanna electric eventually but it got's to be about 5 hp in the least IMHO for my preferences at least..

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
40+hp vs <12hp

SoCal Motor Bicycle Racing is paid for by Gas Bikers and we set the rules.
I won't be racing over powered eMotorcycles like liveforphysics 40-50 hp
against the 11 hp 4 stroke class.
I could never understand the logic of wanting to race a bike that is 4xs over the rated 11hp class. Anyone can win a race if they massively exceed the class regulations. That would be like Kramer on Seinfeld entering a karate tournament against a bunch of 8 year olds. Nothing against the e bikers but realistically they should be racing on an equal playing field to test their racing skills instead of just blasting it only on the straight away, going 40mph faster than everyone else then go slow in the turns. My biggest issue is it's dangerous to the other racers. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time at Baird's race but can you imagine getting plowed at that speed without hearing it coming? At least put some cards in your spokes to warn everyone you're going to be flying past. Personally I would love to race an 12hp ebike. That way if I lose, I can accept the bragging about realistically outclassing the gassers. :)
My point to all of this is: if they know there is a 12 hp limit, why the need to exceed it by a lot or do they have e races with inviting the gassers?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I did not miss the point at all....I have been celebtrating with gtreat joy and stifaction a 10+hp engine for about 10,000 miles now. All works Lovy Dovy and ''always has'' My peddles work flawless and I use them. Whole thing is flawless. Text book perfect machine. I have beat the snot out of it every single day of the week !! Never do I even carry tools with me. Not even so much as an air chuck..Darn thing just works go figure (^)

My own trick? Wuz'ent shopping at Walmart...

You may not know this? But if done with competence and intelegence most anything is possible.dance1 Many of us have custom machines that work like this........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You miss the point...

...so even in the beginning bicycles were a platform. (and not a good one)

It comes down to a choice:

"Is it better to do small power really well, or do big power really poorly?"
If it weren't for bicycles, there never would have been motorcycles. I think it is better to do big power really poorly........whatever "big power" is.

dnut

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did you know that those 50cc GP race bikes have 1" steerer tubes......just like the old bicycles.

This thread on the other hand is about a race that I built my bike specifically for and will race till my hearts content, unlike you. The only redundancy I see here is you Mr. Safety posting nothing about the race that you will not be attending.

Who's missing what here?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I don't think it is a race bike....that you are building other than somthing that may very well look nice??..Truth is just recognizing where you "fit" in the larger picture. ;)

The proposed wopping 1 hp

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
1 hp is more like 25 mebbe with good luck 30 mph with the wind at your tail. Do you know what you are talking about ?? The H.P. power to get to 50 mph is way out of your league

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I got some very exciting news! :)

MaryLex Photography is going to be shooting the Grange race
on October 20th.
She is a fantastic photographer that really knows how to capture
the action and thrills.

Maryline has a lot of experience photographing SuperMoto which
her husband races in.
Check out this pic she just took.

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Yep, I'll be there Fri nite. Right now I'm in AL cutting tree roots and running power for a hopefully soon to be built retirement cabin. Every few days I boot up my simple little PC laptop at 'Jacks' Other than that, just me and the coyotes. Won't hear much from me till then.

Ordered a 20" wheel to lace in and gear down the present 24" set up, trading top end 3mph for low-end 4lbs torque; also 3k to 4k. Only help a little, but #114 is close to running mid-pack! (in ChinaGirl class)

Some of the e-folks built their machines to compete in both the e-motorcycle and e-bicycle scene. It's no small feat just to get a 28 or 40hp electric to finish, nothing is prebuilt for this in-between performance level.

See all you laid back funsters at the "Grange."

Attachments

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Yep, I'll be there Fri nite.

See all you laid back funsters at the "Grange."
Will, just make sure that you bring at least 2 fire extinguishers! :D

SoSauty aka Will has been the force behind getting our
Motorized Bicycle races scored accurately all the way back
to the Death race in Tucson.
Will brings the flags and scorecards to all the races and helps
out in many other ways too.

In recognition of his dedication and perseverance SoCal Motor
Bicycle Racing is awarding Will the highly coveted race # 14
and in so doing making him an honorary Gas Biker. .flg.

Traditionally ebike racers have had race #'s from 100 to 140 and
Will was using # 114

Thank you Will and see you at Grange Motor Circuit. :)