Moped and Bike Mufflers

GoldenMotor.com

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I spotted a TOMOS LX moped today and had a close look at it, . . it had a quite muffler, and looked like it might fit my 80cc Chengine, I am wondering how many Moped or small cycle engines like scooters and Kawasaki mufflers will fit, can I get one from a dealer ?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
I'm not sure if I can get one locally, I'm just checking out the possibilities,

I don't know who sells TOMOS LX bikes.

But I am looking for someone who knows the fit, etc.

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
i look on craigs list for scooters, mopeds and gopeds. i just got two boreem xl for 50 bucks each. elec. and pull start, keyed ignition, head, tail, turn and brake lights all wired up. and they run nice and quiet. mitch

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Pulled over just for you today! Saw a Tomos lx and checked out the exhaust. It looks like it would fit.but you'd have to bend the header 'cause it's a horizontal motor. It's probably @ least $100 exhaust though. And you'll want to secure it to the frame, it's too long and heavy just to hang off the motor. Anywqy hope that helps!

amealnet

Sep 19, 2008
is there a way to modify the stock muffler to make it quieter without reducing engine power?

Wheel Rush

Jun 21, 2008
tyrslider,
I thank you !
I happed by a small shop and dropped off the recently cut goose neck of the original muffler to see if they had that size, (they weren't in when I got there), so upon calling them they didn't have anything that small.

Being without ample transportation at this time, I was without a way to size this, if I were to get to the Kawasaki shop, so is the reason I was asking.

I may as well be, off the beaten track, in the back country of New Mexico, with a bike in need of repairs, where the mail man is the event of the day !

But, thanks again, I'll look into it.

x94cherry

Nov 11, 2008
Ferndale
You might want to take a look at this exhaust system:

https://www.1977mopeds.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=97

It's a 2-piece bi-turbo, an aftermarket expansion chamber muffler that a lot of mopeders use. Because the muffler and header are separate pieces, it's easy to modify to fit a lot of different bikes. These kinds of exhausts usually give you about a 3-5mph boost on a moped, probably similar results on a motorized bicycle.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
is there a way to modify the stock muffler to make it quieter without reducing engine power?
I pulled the stock baffle out and replaced it with chore boy steel mesh.

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/baffle-mod-4550.html

I will run the engine today or tomorrow at the latest and post my results.

You can also experiment with after mufflers- use your imagination and try to make a couple different ones.

Empiricle testing is the BEST.

1_2Mini

Oct 2, 2008
I pulled the plug out of my china muffler and wrapped it in regular pink fiberglass....it really helped reducing noise and so far no noticable reduction in power. The key is to wrap it just right...not too tight because the exhaust needs to flow through it, but not too lose as it won't really deaden the sound.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Glenn, thats a nice find,I would buy that but I,m not sure it would fit at the flange,its easy enough to bend, it would be a hassle to buy it then find out it will not fit and have to ship it back.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I pulled the plug out of my china muffler and wrapped it in regular pink fiberglass....it really helped reducing noise and so far no noticable reduction in power. The key is to wrap it just right...not too tight because the exhaust needs to flow through it, but not too lose as it won't really deaden the sound.
I use the "pink" in the silencer for my expansion chamber on my MB, really works good. Like you said just dont pack it in too tight..........