Sportsman project coming up...questions

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Depends on what gauge spokes you use. The hubs are set up for 11g because they are industrial, don't think it would be a problem going down in size. But it will be hard finding 11g spokes locally or a bike shop that can thread them. Most bicycle spoke threaders only go up to 13g maybe 12g, not 11g. I could be wrong, I'm only speaking from my experiences.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
the worksman spokes are large, but it's still bicycle stuff. I've laced up quite a number of these wheels myself. If you have the worksman spokes a local shop should be able to lace em up for you. Always best to just complete wheelsets if you can though, its always the cheapest way to go. So unless you're going with special hubs, buy complete wheels and just have em shipped.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Brett, if you are keen on those Alex rims.... take the Alex rims and whatever coaster hub you buy and front hub, take them to your local bike shop and they will measure what size spokes you need and order them, then you can either get them to lace the wheels, or lace the wheels youself but have the shop true them up, or go the whole hog and do the lot yourself (there are youtube videos on how to do it, and once youve done a set its a lot easier)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yes Pat can do a rear coaster hub for me & ship it on the frame, so that'll work out great for the Int'l shipping.
hey Harry I actually really like those Alex mountain bike rims as they are already black, which is the colour I want.
I also need ideas for where to get a leaf or springer front end for a good price...
I was lucky enough to get a cheap Monark original fork off EBay. But they make reproductions of them and are decently priced at around $150 delivered.

VINTAGE MONARK SPRINGER STYLE BICYCLE FORK | eBay

Just be careful..... supposedly there are some Monark fork repros that arent as strong and have been known to break..... im not sure if these ones are safe or not..... maybe someone else has more of an idea

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
the worksman spokes are large, but it's still bicycle stuff. I've laced up quite a number of these wheels myself. If you have the worksman spokes a local shop should be able to lace em up for you. Always best to just complete wheelsets if you can though, its always the cheapest way to go. So unless you're going with special hubs, buy complete wheels and just have em shipped.
Couldnt find any ready made wheelsets here in NZ with rear coaster brake, have to be made up.
Shipping wheelsets to New Zealand from the US is expensive :)

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Brett, if you are keen on those Alex rims.... take the Alex rims and whatever coaster hub you buy and front hub, take them to your local bike shop and they will measure what size spokes you need and order them, then you can either get them to lace the wheels, or lace the wheels youself but have the shop true them up, or go the whole hog and do the lot yourself (there are youtube videos on how to do it, and once youve done a set its a lot easier)
Yep. Sounds good. Pat can give me a coaster rear hub for a good price shipped with the frame so for the rear I think I'll get that laced to the mountain bike rim. Also since you said you can run balloon tyres on those rims then they will also work well for me.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah you can run the balloon tyres on the Alex rims, but because they are thinner the tyre will have a slightly taller, skinnier profile, whereas when mounted on the worksman rims they will not be as tall, but a little wider.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The below picture i posted earlier probably shows it a little (though not the best picture, sorry)..... the red rims on the left are those Alex rims, and the beige rims on the right are wider downhill rims (forgotten the brand name) and probably very close to the Worksman rims

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah you can run the balloon tyres on the Alex rims, but because they are thinner the tyre will have a slightly taller, skinnier profile, whereas when mounted on the worksman rims they will not be as tall, but a little wider.
yep thanks. I remember this with fitting fatter rear tyres on bobbers. they become more 'pointy'.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I ordered a rear drum Hub from Pat. That also came with the rear sprocket. The tota cost in shipping was $120
That seems a lot to ship a brake hub & sprocket. Was that by Fedex?
I only use USPS Priority because it's way cheaper than Fedex; also I found the local courier agent for Fedex here in NZ to be not very good.
So I stay well away from Fedex.
By USPS priority I paid 150 in shipping for a Sportster hardtail (the back half of a Harley Sportster motorcycle frame, quite a large heavy article).

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I ordered a rear drum Hub from Pat. That also came with the rear sprocket. The tota cost in shipping was $120
If that hub & sprocket would fit into a USPS priority large flat rate box, it would be $58.50 to ship.
https://www.usps.com/send/priority-mail-international-flat.htm
Im not sure if it would fit though? Box is 12" x 12" x 5 1/2". Was probably too big or over the 4lb weight limit for flat rate.
I get stuff from the US every week, as I run a Bobber parts business here in NZ. So I always try to get stuff into the flat rate boxes. They are tracked too & arrive right at my doorstep.
If it didnt fit into the flat rate box, then USPS priority will still run a lot cheaper than the other companies.
I will check with Pat who he has been using to ship Int'l.
If it's been Fedex or DHL, it will run a lot cheaper for those of us who are down under to get it via USPS.
There is already some interest from others here in NZ, in Pat's stuff, since I started telling people about it.
Im really looking forward to getting the frame & tank (& other bits) !!!

Last edited:

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I was lucky enough to get a cheap Monark original fork off EBay. But they make reproductions of them and are decently priced at around $150 delivered.

VINTAGE MONARK SPRINGER STYLE BICYCLE FORK | eBay

Just be careful..... supposedly there are some Monark fork repros that arent as strong and have been known to break..... im not sure if these ones are safe or not..... maybe someone else has more of an idea
Yep I think those are the ones that have weaknesses in the workmanship & that need improvements.
Im assuming these monark repops will bolt straight up to a worksman INB frame?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey guys,
I am following this thread and can answer a couple questions based on my experience. As far as Monarks go if you buy a reproduction Monark and run it as is your a brave man, but if you COMPLETELY rework it you'll have a pretty decent fork that will survive the abuse of MB duty. You'll have to reweld the crown area, do a bit of machining, and flip the drop-outs so you can run a modern 110mm hub. The steer tube should be shortened about 1/4" to properly fit a Worksman INB frame. With the Worksman frame the bottom bracket is the same width as any vintage Schwinn cruiser, but the head tube is shorter so that is why you need to shorten the Monark steer tube. As far as the 11ga spokes most bike shops can deal with lacing them into a wheel but they can't shorten them with a standard Park brand spoke threader, so buy the correct length to start with. Worksman carries them for the Shimano 110 hub. Oh, and Workman INB frames are pretty narrow through the rear triangle so when it comes to tire selection just run 26 x 2.125 tires and be done with it.