question about 49 and 80cc

GoldenMotor.com

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
is there any noticable differences besides performance between 49 and 80 cc engines? like a noticable size difference or a different engine head or anything?

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
is there any noticable differences besides performance between 49 and 80 cc engines? like a noticable size difference or a different engine head or anything?
They have the same bottom end....The 80cc has a little bit bigger cyclinder but not enought to affect it to fit in most 26 inch frames....And yes the 80cc has more power....What kind of bike are you wanting to put it in????Post a pic....
John-John

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
i already have it on and running great just wanted to make sure they sent me the 80cc i ordered instead of a 49 lol cause i wouldnt know any different

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
i already have it on and running great just wanted to make sure they sent me the 80cc i ordered instead of a 49 lol cause i wouldnt know any different
If you ordered a 80cc then thats what you got....I have ordered 8 engines over the years and always got what I asked for....Who did you order the kit from????

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
I'm in the same boat, I ordered a F50 (47cc) kit from thatsdax and it came in a box marked F80. I wanted the F50 because I had read that they ran smoother and started easyer with not that much of a power differance. I was so excited when my kit came I just tore it open and started checking out all the cool stuff in the box. Anyways I didn't notice the fact that the box was marked in big letters on one end F80 for about a month after I had it installed and running. So I have no idea if its a F50 or a F80. It starts easy and seems to run smooth but I have nothing to compare it with. It would be nice to know when ordering parts. I never called Dax to complane because I'm happy with it and I'm not giving it back. It's kinda like having a new puppy you get attached to it. drn2

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I wanted the F50 because I had read that they ran smoother and started easyer with not that much of a power differance. Anyways I didn't notice the fact that the box was marked in big letters on one end F80 for about a month after I had it installed and running. So I have no idea if its a F50 or a F80. It starts easy and seems to run smooth but I have nothing to compare it with.

Like I said....

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
well regardless id still like to know what i got becuase id much rather have the 80...power is king

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Measure the bore and stroke in millimeters and post what you find. If it says F80, it's more than likely a 69cc. ("80")

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
f 80 on ebay?? thats a dax no? where did u get motor on ebay? leb? bgf? they sell pizhou yongxing motors which are the pk manu good stuff

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
my experience the so called 80 has way more power-but i am still playing with jetting etc and i actually ride my 49 much more because it has saddlebags and most important brakes ny 80 loves hills it just hunkers down under load,will play with the carb some more on the 49 this weekend i know i can make it do better, i think also that i am losing volytage to the coil as i got shocked pretty good touching the ground

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
I will do that when I have a reason to pull the head. It's running fine now. I'm not sure but I think I have read somewhere on one of motorizsed bicycle fourms that the 49cc/47cc engines have a smaller size head stud 6mm I think and the bigger engines have a 8mm stud. I haven't checked mine yet, I did check the torque on the cap nuts but cant remember what size socket they took. Anybody know if this is correct about the different size studs?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No... but I wouldn't rely on that either, there's just waaaay too much variance with manufacturers and hardware lol

carpetrugger

Apr 29, 2009
Calif.
I just went to tharsdax's web site where I bought my engine, and on there parts dept. page two they have three different type head gaskets. One gasket comes with a 47mm bore with holes for 8mm studs (it doesn't say for a F80) a second one for a 44 & 46mm bore that says it fits a F60 and a F65 motor with 6mm studs and a third for there F50 (the one I ordered) says it fits a motor with a 36mm & 42 mm bore with 6mm studs. So I should be able to narrow it down to one of three by checking my stud size, without taking it apart. If it has the larger size studs (8mm) then it has to be a F80. THATSDAX sells a F50 (47cc) a F60 (62cc) and a F80 (70cc) Lucky for me I no my engine manufactuer. Freewheeling frank you said you have both model engine's a 49 and a 80, are the studs for the heads the same size?

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Washington, District of Columbia
Lucky for me I no my engine manufactuer.
Fluent in chinese?

[Recognizing that that could be seen as a shot at you—I'm just poking fun. These engines are made in china to exacting standards... I wouldn't be surprised if there's something like the "trading fish" scene in It's Always Sunny going on... They're thrown together. But, hey, they work.]