2-stoke motorized bicycles - Most climate-friendly motor vehicle on the planet!!

GoldenMotor.com

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania
G'day folks

For years you have swallowed the line that 2-stroke bicycle motors are dirty, polluting little monsters and not long for this world. Right? WRONG!!

A bicycle fitted with a 2-stroke bicycle engine kit is one of the most climate-friendly motor-vehicles on the planet.

I'm in Australia and keen to raise this issue both in Oz and elsewhere where you feel like a second-class citizen and have to sneak around on back roads to avoid the cops. For some odd reason that I don't understand, the very low carbon dioxide (CO2) footprint of motorized bicycles seems lost on just about everyone.

Air quality may be affected by 2-strokes in some cities, but the very low carbon dioxide emissions that contribute to greenhouse and climate change make MBs very climate-friendly.

Anyone want to discuss this?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: 2-stoke MBs - Most climate-friendly motor vehicle on the planet!!

Spookytoothcycles set up a bike and sent it to EPA emmisions testing, and it passed with flying colors.

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX

When comparing power for power, a two cycle is dirtier than a four cycle.

If you want to improve air quality especially in the Smoky Mountains, cut down all the pine trees. ;)

Those Smoky Mountains — What Makes the Blue Ridge Blue? Homeschool Rangers

The truth is the EPA limits for hydrocarbon emissions for a car are lower than the emissions of a full grown pine tree.

My save the planet thinking is:

Own the smallest vehicle to meet your needs (and have a motorbike as a second vehicle :) )
Drive it sensibly
Keep it tuned
Combine trips when possible
Carpool when I can
Avoid buying disposable anything
Say "Yes Ma'am" to your mother.
And finally, have two kids or fewer, not a whole litter!

(Sorry if that was too political)

Gaft

Feb 22, 2009
Hobart, Tasmania

When comparing power for power, a two cycle is dirtier than a four cycle.

If you want to improve air quality especially in the Smoky Mountains, cut down all the pine trees. ;)

Those Smoky Mountains — What Makes the Blue Ridge Blue? Homeschool Rangers

The truth is the EPA limits for hydrocarbon emissions for a car are lower than the emissions of a full grown pine tree.

My save the planet thinking is:

Own the smallest vehicle to meet your needs (and have a motorbike as a second vehicle :) )
Drive it sensibly
Keep it tuned
Combine trips when possible
Carpool when I can
Avoid buying disposable anything
Say "Yes Ma'am" to your mother.
And finally, have two kids or fewer, not a whole litter!

(Sorry if that was too political)
Fabulous link thanks FlyJSH. Best post I've ever read.

Take care.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)

These Things Are Clean Runners,and As Green As It Gets.its Not Like In Running It In My House And Breathing It In Al The Time. Those Cat Mufflers Could Pass Tests.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado

Your argument is based on an assumption that CO2 is a pollutant that is causing global warming. This theory is not proved and hundreds of scientist disagree with the current global warming bunk.

"Earth's climate continues to confound scientists. Following a 30-year trend of warming, global temperatures have flatlined since 2001 despite rising greenhouse gas concentrations, and a heat surplus that should have cranked up the planetary thermostat."

Maybe greenhouse gas aren't so greenhouse. Our sunm you know, does have cyclic outputs in varying amounts of energy that is emitted to warm our planet.