becoming worried

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
my kit supplier is going away due to import difficulties - best kits I've ever had : (

also hearing talk that calif may outlaw all 2-strokes (even weed whip & leaf blower) in very near future

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Not that big a deal. You can always go 4 stroke, or electric.

Last edited:

bluetarp

Feb 25, 2016
dutchess county, NY
if California wasn't run by prostitutes, they would do the smart thing,.. and offer a rebate for every motorized bicycle you own. but god forbid they incentivize getting out of the 7 liter hummer or ridiculous diesel pickup trucks and onto a fuel efficient 2 wheel SOMETHING. bike, bicycle, scooter, moped, anything. but theyre too busy bending over and holding them open for big oil like the rest of the nation.

their thinking is: 7 liter diesel pickups that get 10mpg and emit black clouds of death,.. with only one passenger=fine and dandy,.. but weedwhackers and leafblowers are a scourge to the environment and must be abolished for the sake of mankind. yeah,.. my trust / faith in ANY governing body is nil.

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
the only thing great about Cali is the mountains, lakes, ocean, and weather, and the people I know (-:
I believe any thing around where i'm at, if your having fun there's a law against it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Not that big a deal. You can always go 4 stroke, of electric.
no way I'd ride anything that takes off out from under you every time you blip the throttle - also doubt I could lift a 4-stroke chainsaw at my age

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
2-stroke engines have been banned in Cali for many years & people have been running around saying "the sky is falling" about the HT engines for a long time!

Leaf blowers were banned in LA county several years ago but every gardener still uses them!!

There are hundreds of our HT bikes on the streets here & the police don't care, so I don't bother worrying about it. ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
no way I'd ride anything that takes off out from under you every time you blip the throttle - also doubt I could lift a 4-stroke chainsaw at my age
LOL I doubt you'd have to worry about a 50cc 4 stroke from jumping out from under you.

I have to agree though that a 2 stroke china girl does have a certain appeal. It's hard to understand the reasoning to ban them considering the little pollution they put out, and how few of them there really are.

The problem is, there's always do gooders that don't like what you're doing, but don't care if you don't like what they're doing.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
The problem is, there's always do gooders that don't like what you're doing, but don't care if you don't like what they're doing.
yep, got two customers that are homeless vets living in a tent in a back yard, qualified for low-income housing, but then disqualified because they smoke cigarettes

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
all government agencies want you paying taxes on LARGE purchases, not small ones.
they also love the gas tax, around 50-60 cents per gallon, last time i noticed.

they literally get paid to make your life difficult... and more expensive.

the more money going through their office, the more they can snatch for themselves and their pet projects.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
if I lived in cali and they said they were going to ban them,..and I believed it,.. I would probably order myself 20 kits and sit on them. we're talking $$$$$. if California wasn't run by prostitutes, they would do the smart thing,.. and offer a rebate for every motorized bicycle you own. but god forbid they incentivize getting out of the 7 liter hummer or ridiculous diesel pickup trucks and onto a fuel efficient 2 wheel SOMETHING. bike, bicycle, scooter, moped, anything. but theyre too busy bending over and holding them open for big oil like the rest of the nation.

their thinking is: 7 liter diesel pickups that get 10mpg and emit black clouds of death,.. with only one passenger=fine and dandy,.. but weedwhackers and leafblowers are a scourge to the environment and must be abolished for the sake of mankind. yeah,.. my trust / faith in ANY governing body is nil.
Uh, dude, we already have the strictest smog laws in the country. The greenies here have incentivized electric cars which are so useless. Even the car companies plead customers not to buy them because they are losing money on every ecar purchased (ie fiat). Smog free cars start at 1975 and older... And that sounds fair to you? Hybrids in this state don't even have carpool privileges anymore because of all the electric cars.

They have helped motorized bikes with their new 4hp law in 2015. Max hp doubled.

Agreed 100% Leo.

Last edited:

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
A few years ago, the Maine Bikers Coalition convinced the State that it should hold an Emergency Session regarding the gas powered bikes. Needless to say, it wasn't highly advertised.

Most of the laws were suggested by them, and some dumb laws resulted.

If I ride a bike downhill and hit 40 or so, I'm legal, but if I go 30 mph with a gas bike, I am breaking the law.

The police around here don't usually mess with the couple of dozen or so that is in the State. But it irks me to be driving and come around a curve, only to find the spandex crowd spread all over the road, can you hear the brakes squeal?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
these are actually two diff things - my supplier in china says he will no longer ship to anywhere in US & local tree huggers say they'll stop all 2-stroke anythings in calif

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you have been a member here as long as I have and read the countless 'doomsday' reports regarding 2 strokes you'd chuckle and go ride your bike and stop worrying about what you read or saw on the national or local news or any 'social media' venue.

I've been seeing these 'end of the world' reports since I joined this forum and I and thousands of others are still happily riding our 2 stroke bikes and the 'pollution police' haven't come to get us yet.

It makes no difference if it is California or anywhere else. The regulations are out there, some real, some fiction. Go build and ride your bikes and stop fretting. If, and when, the EPA actually starts acting on those supposed regulations it will be apparent. Most of our sponsors will disappear. Until that happens, we're good to go.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Both Venice Motor Bikes and 2door have it right. There've been a lot of doomsday predictions plus there are idiot do-gooders out there who occasionally target us. But nothing seems to come of it.

I suppose the reason is that we're just such a small group that it isn't worth it going after us. For that matter, legislation that actually favors us has passed in a number of states in the last five years or so.

I've also been doing this since 2008. At that time there was no legal status for these bikes at all in my state. For good of for bad. Since then the vehicle code has been amended to define these as bicycles. Nothing more.

I hear that these bikes are becoming more common. That might affect things. And I'll agree that I see more of them than I used to. But there is something I've noticed. Most of the newbies come and go. I'll see them once or twice and then I never see them again. I don't think that those of us who stick with it have become any more numerous.

Unless gasoline goes back to $4.50/gallon or Americans suddenly embrace minimalist transportation I just don't see our numbers growing. And that ought to mean that we'll mostly sail under the radar of lawmakers and regulators.

Though we'll still be a handy target for haters. And we'll keep on taking potshots from those crackpots. But it probably won't have any real effect on public policy.

Maybe one day it will. But in the meantime, just ignore those who say the sky is falling.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think by the time they ever get around to regulating gas bikes away, if they ever do, it will probably be a moot point by then, because most people will have already moved away from gas bikes on their own accord.

I'm a prime example, I was always a big proponent of gas bikes until I discovered the superiority of electric bikes. Up until recently there were a lot of drawbacks to electric bikes, but now one by one they're disappearing. Soon there won't be any reason to regulate gas bikes away, because there just won't be enough of them to worry about, assuming there ever was anyway. Bottom line, I think gas bikes will disappear, but when it happens, it will probably be voluntary.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
Bottom line, I think gas bikes will disappear, but when it happens, it will probably be voluntary.
with all due respect, i'm not so sure about that. they have been around since 1868 that we know of, maybe even earlier. (from wikipedia)

i think that as our economy continues to decline, they will become more popular. and not just for basic transportation as most seem to be building them for. i built my bike to be a cheap toy, i wanted to ride the HM trail system but would NEVER spend $1500-$2500 for a decent "used" atv.

my bike, which can go almost anywhere an atv can (and some places they can't) only cost around $450, brand spanking new.
an e-bike on the other hand, would automatically have range issues with current battery technology. not to mention that actually pulling these unending hills on one would be wishful thinking... at best. and they still cost more.

i read an article recently that said southern california alone has around 50,000 gasoline powered bikes. up from a few hundred, just 10 years ago.

as further evidence, how many of our (much appreciated) sponsors' businesses are less than 10 years old? i would guess most of them are.
they are multiplying, and growing. i'm actually thinking of selling a few MB's myself... every one of us has had that same thought...

i definitely think the MB trend is accelerating, not declining.

and i think that's a good thing :)

in conclusion, lol
it's a beautiful day outside, ride on my friends...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
2 or 3 years ago, my last supplier left the US market - lost much money and time buying crap kits while looking for a decent supplier

now, I'll have to do that again to see if there are any good kits at decent prices out there

Last edited: