I'm confused!

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes, please do the research yourself on the DMV site then you won't be confused by trolling guys from Oregon who know nothing about CA mb laws and quote them without explanation and out of context.....
You know.....our pal 'boxcar' is fairly new around here. But I've seen a bunch of posts from him that were knowledeable, good natured and helpful. He has already well demonstrated that he is definitely not a 'know-nothing' or a troll.

His merely living in the next state over does not mean that he is disqualified from knowing and understanding California's laws on the matter.

He offered some interpretations in the 'gray area' of the law that seemed to make some sense. Others are perfectly free to offer conflicting interpretations. This is good stuff. The rest of us will weigh each counter-argument in our own minds and, hopefully, decide which interpretation makes the better sense to us.

But dismissive comments like, "Don't listen to a troll from Oregon" (Not a perfect quote, I know. But close enough) are unhelpful.

Boxcar deserves better.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
You know.....our pal 'boxcar' is fairly new around here. But I've seen a bunch of posts from him that were knowledeable, good natured and helpful. He has already well demonstrated that he is definitely not a 'know-nothing' or a troll.

His merely living in the next state over does not mean that he is disqualified from knowing and understanding California's laws on the matter.

He offered some interpretations in the 'gray area' of the law that seemed to make some sense. Others are perfectly free to offer conflicting interpretations. This is good stuff. The rest of us will weigh each counter-argument in our own minds and, hopefully, decide which interpretation makes the better sense to us.

But dismissive comments like, "Don't listen to a troll from Oregon" (Not a perfect quote, I know. But close enough) are unhelpful.

Boxcar deserves better.
Boxcar is unhelpful and just confusing an issue he knows nothing about.

This is no grey area in CA and he makes no sense.

Boxcar is intellectually dishonest and just throwing up out of context laws
to win an online pissing contest.
If you don't live and ride in CA you have no clue about how the laws work
here on the streets.
Been doing mb's since 2008, got pulled over and know hundreds of CA mb
riders who have had interactions with cops on the streets.

Yeah, Boxcar just told a 15 year old that he can get a license. Wrong!!! :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Enough!
Forum rules clearly disallow any show of disrespect or rudness to other members. If you disagree or have a different opinion post your side then move along. Arguments and name calling will not be allowed and posts containing such will be removed.
Any problems with that you can PM me anytime.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Bottom line is if cops in your area don't care and your parents
say it's OK then wear a full face helmet and have fun. ;)

PS: Don't buy the 4 stroke kit from the Berry cause the gearbox is junk.
Get a 4G like KC said.
Ya, the bicycle-engines.com kit is a real Skyhawk 142F-1G / 4G kit, 2.5L tank and all, a good buy for $300 5:1 gear ratio reduction.
I was paying $350 for them back when gasbike had them.

If you aren't in a hurry and couldn't care less about CA law regarding gears I'll be releasing a kit for 4-stroke shifters in a month or so, with a 3-speed internal hub really just an ideal machine.

A month or so before I have the parts here.

Last edited:

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Getting Your CA Moped or Scooter License
If you’re 16 years of age or older, and if your moped is not capable of driving faster than 20 MPH, you can ride without a license.

To operate a motorized scooter you must be at least 16 years old and carry either an instruction permit or driver's license.
Quoted directly from California DMV's sight......

I had some time this morning to do a bit of research .
California is vague about everything but this......
Looks like your out of luck in the age department.
Sorry to get your hopes up...
For an old guy like me 1 or 2 years is a blink in the minds eye .
I'm now remembering what it felt like to be 14 or 15 and dying to drive.
Good times... and bad...
Look at it this way .
Take the time you have to build the coolest motorized bicycle that any one has ever seen .
Do it right and fallow the rules ( what ever they turn out to be ).
You will get much more enjoyment out of the machine not having to look over your shoulder....
And will learn valuable skills that will stay with you the rest of your life....

Some guy from Oregon ( the Troll ) Ha Ha Ha . This morning , I fell like a Troll. Probably look like one to....

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

I had some time this morning to do a bit of research .
California is vague about everything but this......
Looks like your out of luck in the age department.
Sorry to get your hopes up...
For an old guy like me 1 or 2 years is a blink in the minds eye .
I'm now remembering what it felt like to be 14 or 15 and dying to drive.
Good times... and bad...
Look at it this way .
Take the time you have to build the coolest motorized bicycle that any one has ever seen .
Do it right and fallow the rules ( what ever they turn out to be ).
You will get much more enjoyment out of the machine not having to look over your shoulder....
And will learn valuable skills that will stay with you the rest of your life....

Some guy from Oregon ( the Troll ) Ha Ha Ha . This morning , I fell like a Troll. Probably look like one to....
If you’re 16 years of age or older, and if your moped is not capable of driving faster than 20 MPH, you can ride without a license.

To operate a motorized scooter you must be at least 16 years old and carry either an instruction permit or driver's license.
All your misquote means is you can drive an ebike if you are 16 or older.
ebikes have a 20 mph speed limit.

That quote is from www.DMV.org which is not the real CA.gov
website or an actual CVC code.

The way the DMV.org site phrases the bold quote is misleading because
they wrongly say moped instead of ebike and it's their words, not an
actual code.

Cherry picking a quote means nothing when it is quite clearly stated that
a M2 license is required for a moped, motorized bicycle or bicycle with an
attached motor in California.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Here is the whole page that you cherry picked your quote in red from
while ignoring the rest of the page.

Also says that DMV.ORG is not a government website at the top.

California Mopeds, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Motorized Scooters
In the state of California, there are multiple classifications of smaller powered two-wheeled vehicles. These include motor-driven cycles, mopeds, and motorized scooters. You need to make sure which one of those classifications your vehicle falls into, because the licensing and registration requirements are different for each.

California Motor-Driven Cycle
In the state of California, CA Vehicle Code 405 defines a motor-driven cycle as having an engine size of 149cc (cubic centimeters) or less. To legally ride a motor-driven cycle, you must have a valid Class M1 license, and the vehicle must be registered at your local DMV office.

California Moped (Motorized Bicycle)
In California, a moped or “motorized bicycle” is a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle equipped with pedals, a motor that generates less than 2 brake horsepower (or an electric motor that cannot be bigger than 1,000 watts), and an automatic transmission.

Mopeds are categorized in two separate CA Vehicle Codes (CVC)and the requirements differ for each type.

Moped Type CVC 406(a)
A moped meeting CVC 406(a) requires the operator to have a valid Class M1 or M2 motorcycle license
. The vehicle must be equipped with:

Operative pedals for propulsion by the rider, or no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy.
An automatic transmission.
A motor producing less than 2 brake horsepower (hp), capable of propelling the vehicle no faster than 30 MPH on level ground.
A moped will be issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee.

To obtain these items, you’ll need to fill out a Motorized Bicycle Application (Form REG 230), then mail the fee to:

Department of Motor Vehicles

P.O. Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
Pay your fee via check or money order only. The DMV specifically asks that you not send cash.

Moped Type CVC 406(b)
A CVC 406(b) moped is a motorized bicycle defined as:

A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor with an output of not more than 1,000 watts.
Incapable of reaching speeds of more than 20 MPH on level ground, even if assisted by human power.
You don’t need a license to ride a motorized bicycle that meets the definition of CVC 406(b); however, you must be at least 16 years old, and you must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet at all times.

Mopeds that meet CVC 406(b) are also exempt from both the motor vehicle financial responsibility (insurance) and moped license plate requirements.

California Motorized Scooter
A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled vehicle that has:

Handlebars.
A floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding.
A propulsion system powered by a motor.
Motorized scooters do not have to be registered or have license plates displayed on the back, and they can be driven by anyone who has a valid CA driver’s license in any classification.

Getting Your CA Moped or Scooter License

If you choose to ride a moped that can reach 30 MPH, you’re going to need a Class M2 or M1 license.

To apply for your Class M2 license, make an appointment at your local DMV office and:

Submit an original DL 44 application form. This form cannot be downloaded. Collect one at any DMV office, or have one mailed to you by calling (800) 777-0133.
Provide a thumb print.
Have your picture taken.
Pay the $33 application fee.
Pass a vision exam.
Pass the traffic laws and road signs test.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
looks like these kits are still not 406a or 406b & they're not scooters & they're not motor driven cycles either

still riding in gray area - no auto trans, no electric, no floorboards

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I think you must be one of those people that just cant let go......
The quote I posted was simply to answer the question concerning the boys age....and his
legal ability to ride at such an age.... But you already knew that . Didn't you.
If you are trying to get a rise out of me with derogatory words and slick speech...
You won't.
I don't have an agenda here, and don't feel a constant need to be right.
So have a nice day MBR ...I'm out a here.......