Rat Rod Build Questions...Antique engine???

GoldenMotor.com

Motion70

Apr 28, 2013
Auburn, CA
I am currently working on building a 1939 Rollfast rat rod motorized bicycle. I built a custom pvc tank to fit in the original metal tank because I love the patina and old school look and did not want to take away from that with the new tank that comes with the kit. My question is, how do I make the motor itself that comes in the kit look old? I am not looking for any physical changes, just some sort of stain/paint ideas to make it fit the build of the bike and not look like a brand new motor. I couldn't get pictures to upload, so here is a link to my photobucket page if you would like to see the bike. Thanks for any help!!!

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/classiccamaros/library/Motorized Bicycle?sort=3&page=1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You might want to check out a local gun shop and pick up some 'browning' solution. It is a stain that is used to 'antique' metal to give it an old look. Gun restorers use it and it might give you the 'look' you want.

I'm sure others will have suggestions too.

Tom

Motion70

Apr 28, 2013
Auburn, CA
Will the gun store browning solution hold up to the engine heat? Also, very cool Western Flyer Jumpa! I have always loved the straight bar frame bikes! Thank you for the replies.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello Motion70, I'm Trey. Just showing my buddy our website, and he's over my shoulder saying you can run your gas high, and scorch it with a torch. Then wipe it down and the soot will color that case nicely. Obviously it would need to be fully disassembled, and then careful use of the torch. I can't say this will work, but this guy does know fire and metal.

Good luck! Please let us know what you do, and pics of how it turns out.