spak plug head comes loose

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
how do you keep ur spark plug head from poppin off from all the vibrations? my factory one i bought with the kit came loose and broke off so i ordered another from pistonbikes.com which was better quality and that ended up breaking off so i had to reorder a new one. i cant seem to ride this for a long time (20 mins?) before the plug head comes loose..

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
They all should have it. Be careful though, I bought a plug boot and wire from oreily for one of my 2 strokers and it became brittle because of the heat, then basically disintegrated.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
i don know if we have a napa around this area. hat about pepboys or advance auto parts?
you can get a spark plug wire at any auto parts store, any where, Napa, AutoZone, AutoPalace, any of them will carry spark plug wires.

...if you're on a budget you can also find plug wires at any junk yard.

btw, the standard plug that comes with the kit has a thin, threaded tip and a non-standard boot that attachs to that tip so you can't use the standard plug that came with the kit with an automotive plug wire and you can't use the standard plug wire that came with the kit with an upgraded plug, if you upgrade you must upgrade both the plug wire and the plug.

peace, bozo

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
you can get a spark plug wire at any auto parts store, any where, Napa, AutoZone, AutoPalace, any of them will carry spark plug wires.

...if you're on a budget you can also find plug wires at any junk yard.

btw, the standard plug that comes with the kit has a thin, threaded tip and a non-standard boot that attachs to that tip so you can't use the standard plug that came with the kit with an automotive plug wire and you can't use the standard plug wire that came with the kit with an upgraded plug, if you upgrade you must upgrade both the plug wire and the plug.

peace, bozo
Not entirely true. Most kits I've seen now have a little screw on cap on the thin rod which you were speaking of. The NGK B7HS I have also has this. You just leave the cap on to run a standard automotive wire.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All spark plugs come with a threaded tip and cap on the top end. The kit plugs come with the cap removed so you can use them with that piece of junk boot that they give you. The very first thing you should do when you get your kit is throw that plug boot in the trash and replace it with an automotive quality boot. That will require that a new plug be used, one with the cap still installed.

Almost without exception any wire you get from an auto parts store today will be resistance wire. It will not have a metal conductor so be careful when you install the new boot to make sure you have good electrical contact with the conductive core of the wire. You'll also need to use the same care when screwing it into the CDI wire post.

You'll be better off if you can fine copper, or at least a metallic core spark plug wire instead of resistance wire. Motorcycle shops, lawn mower repair shops and some auto parts stores still carry metallic core wire.

Good luck.

Tom

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
All spark plugs come with a threaded tip and cap on the top end. The kit plugs come with the cap removed so you can use them with that piece of junk boot that they give you. The very first thing you should do when you get your kit is throw that plug boot in the trash and replace it with an automotive quality boot. That will require that a new plug be used, one with the cap still installed.

Almost without exception any wire you get from an auto parts store today will be resistance wire. It will not have a metal conductor so be careful when you install the new boot to make sure you have good electrical contact with the conductive core of the wire. You'll also need to use the same care when screwing it into the CDI wire post.

You'll be better off if you can fine copper, or at least a metallic core spark plug wire instead of resistance wire. Motorcycle shops, lawn mower repair shops and some auto parts stores still carry metallic core wire.

Good luck.

Tom
well comparing the plug i got in the kit and the pistonbikes.com plug, id say pistonbikes had a better quality with the boot. Felt secure, but ur saying the plug needs to be screwed onto the spark plug instead of just pushing it down till it snaps in?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
well comparing the plug i got in the kit and the pistonbikes.com plug, id say pistonbikes had a better quality with the boot. Felt secure, but ur saying the plug needs to be screwed onto the spark plug instead of just pushing it down till it snaps in?
You need to go to an auto parts store and look at a real spark plug. You'll see the top is different in that there is a cap, about 3/16" in diameter on the top. The automotive plug boot I mentioned has a matching female connection that snaps onto a standard spark plug. Those kit plugs and plug boots are a joke. Get rid of them or you'll continue to have nothing but problems with them.

The kit plug has a threaded portion that is supposed to snap into the kit boot. It is a bad electrical connection prone to failure and poor engine performance. Do not order plugs or plug boots from engine kit suppliers or you'll get the same parts and be back to square one. Replace both with good automotive quality parts and you can forget about spark plug problems.

Tom

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
You need to go to an auto parts store and look at a real spark plug. You'll see the top is different in that there is a cap, about 3/16" in diameter on the top. The automotive plug boot I mentioned has a matching female connection that snaps onto a standard spark plug. Those kit plugs and plug boots are a joke. Get rid of them or you'll continue to have nothing but problems with them.

The kit plug has a threaded portion that is supposed to snap into the kit boot. It is a bad electrical connection prone to failure and poor engine performance. Do not order plugs or plug boots from engine kit suppliers or you'll get the same parts and be back to square one. Replace both with good automotive quality parts and you can forget about spark plug problems.

Tom
sweet, thanks! ill def n try to go look at some tomorrow. Also does it matter what size spark plug i can use? Bikeberry had a spark plug that was much bigger for an easier start up

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The main thing that matters with the plug is that it doesn't extend too far into the engine. You don't want the piston smacking into the bottom of the plug. Bad things can happen then.