Hello from Michigan

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
The sad fact is Michigan has some very gray laws about these motorized bikes. They really aren't mopeds and they for sure aren't motorcycles, but the area they somewhat fall into is the mopeds still. That is why I made the comment of the somewhat legal bike.

Moped's can only have 2HP 50cc or smaller engines that can do up to 35mph. Now here is the rub, I think it varies from community to community on how they crack down on these motorized bikes...
I went ahead and registered mine as a moped. Hint: don't ask the secretary of state questions. Fill out the form, bring it in like you know what you are doing. Use your bikes serial number. This is how I handled it. I did make it legal with lights brakes mirrors and horn. So far I have not had any trouble.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I went ahead and registered mine as a moped. Hint: don't ask the secretary of state questions. Fill out the form, bring it in like you know what you are doing. Use your bikes serial number. This is how I handled it. I did make it legal with lights brakes mirrors and horn. So far I have not had any trouble.
So did you have to have it inspected by the police or did you just fill out the really short moped form that you need from them?

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
JonnR,
Ok I have seen those around. How many CC are the engines?

Dracothered,
Yes I see what you mean about gray areas seems almost like the laws were set up so lawyers could make money trying to interpret them. I have seen scooters around here that do more than 35 and they have the moped sticker. I suppose if the cops are bored and you make a pest of yourself they could bust you.

Turnofftheradio,
Sounds like good advice, but when you say the serial number of your bike do you mean the serial number off the engine? And as for the bill of sale for the bike, is that for the bike or the engine, sorry for all the questions just want to try and figure this all out.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
JonnR,
Ok I have seen those around. How many CC are the engines?

Dracothered,
Yes I see what you mean about gray areas seems almost like the laws were set up so lawyers could make money trying to interpret them. I have seen scooters around here that do more than 35 and they have the moped sticker. I suppose if the cops are bored and you make a pest of yourself they could bust you.

Turnofftheradio,
Sounds like good advice, but when you say the serial number of your bike do you mean the serial number off the engine? And as for the bill of sale for the bike, is that for the bike or the engine, sorry for all the questions just want to try and figure this all out.
He is talking about a bill of sale for the bike and the bikes serial number and that is all he used.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
You'll need to make up your own mind on where your comfort level is on interpreting the law in MI. The SoS office in GR guided me through the process and an inspection was required to get an assembled moped VIN. The max speed is 30mph, pretty sure of that. As far as the scooters go, take a look at the back of the bike as they pass. Just because they look like a scooter doesn't mean it won't have a motorcycle tag. I know this can quickly get into a discussion of the police and how they enforce local law, or what you can get away with because nobody really double checks (for example the 50cc, 2hp max). Each rider in MI needs to investigate the no fault insurance laws regarding mopeds / assembled mopeds and weigh the risk of getting stuck without coverage after an accident because the bike doesn't meet code. Personally I think the Moped requirements are too restrictive but that's just me.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
You'll need to make up your own mind on where your comfort level is on interpreting the law in MI. The SoS office in GR guided me through the process and an inspection was required to get an assembled moped VIN. The max speed is 30mph, pretty sure of that. As far as the scooters go, take a look at the back of the bike as they pass. Just because they look like a scooter doesn't mean it won't have a motorcycle tag. I know this can quickly get into a discussion of the police and how they enforce local law, or what you can get away with because nobody really double checks (for example the 50cc, 2hp max). Each rider in MI needs to investigate the no fault insurance laws regarding mopeds / assembled mopeds and weigh the risk of getting stuck without coverage after an accident because the bike doesn't meet code. Personally I think the Moped requirements are too restrictive but that's just me.
This is sound advice. I know that my registration is good for the cops, but I suspect it would be "iffy" in an accident. Insurance companies are far more evil than any sec. of state or cops. For me, I was fine with that. Not everyone is like me ( probably for good reason :) )

I have a couple of friends that purposly registered an actual scooter as a motorcycle to avoid any trouble from any end of enforcement.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
This is sound advice. I know that my registration is good for the cops, but I suspect it would be "iffy" in an accident. Insurance companies are far more evil than any sec. of state or cops. For me, I was fine with that. Not everyone is like me ( probably for good reason :) )

I have a couple of friends that purposly registered an actual scooter as a motorcycle to avoid any trouble from any end of enforcement.
Makes me wonder how you would insure something like our MB's???

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Dracothered, post 25
I didn’t know bicycles had serial numbers now, when did this happen? And what do you do if you use an older bike frame for your build that has no serial numbers?

Harold B,
You give sound advice about the law. But I have to say that some of the scooters in Ann arbor Michigan I have seen do have the moped sticker and I have clocked them at over 40mph. How do I know the speed? Well I pulled up along side of them with my motorcycle when we were going down the same road. I couldn’t believe how fast they were going on a moped/scooter.

Turnofftheradio,
Man you have given me a lot to think about.

Dracothered, post 28
That’s the 64 million dollar question is it not.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Scooters that go 40 or motorized bicycles that go that fast or faster are what I'm referring to when I mention getting away with whatever. There are threads on the forum with links to eBay where decals are being sold that say "49cc". Why would a person need or want that on their bike? I was just looking at a sweet low rider build with a 110cc engine sporting a 49cc engraved plate. I think the stated speed was 60+mph. Great looking bike, quality effort, totally breaking the law. Do I care? Nope. I'm just saying the facts as I have had them explained to me by people who are supposed to know. CL is loaded with 66cc bikes, no lights, no front brakes, and the builders are saying they are legal and you don't need a license to ride (in MI). I'm not going to email them or flag the post but I believe they are wrong. Buyer beware.

Again, I don't want this thread to take a negative turn in any way. MI has its faults but I love it here. It would be great to have ride up M22 next year or maybe converge on the Gilmore Car Museum on the Wednesday night cruise. There's a lot of great coastline too. There seems to be a cluster forming in the Detroit area. Maybe something over there like a Tiger game or the Henry Ford Museum? We should try to work something out for 2013. Maybe we can complain about the moped / MB laws in person....

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Harlod B,
Ok I now see what you are saying. Getting away with it, got it now. The internet is a wonderful thing but it in no way will ever totally replace people talking face to face, we loose the nuances of conversation in text. Not Negative at all Brother just misunderstanding.
As for a planed outing in 2013, I’m down for that if I can get something built here, starting to get an idea of what I want just have to choose a motor and get building. Ahh Choices choices hmmmmmm….

Saddletramp1200,
I’m asking and I’m learning a lot :)

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
Scooters that go 40 or motorized bicycles that go that fast or faster are what I'm referring to when I mention getting away with whatever. There are threads on the forum with links to eBay where decals are being sold that say "49cc". Why would a person need or want that on their bike? I was just looking at a sweet low rider build with a 110cc engine sporting a 49cc engraved plate. I think the stated speed was 60+mph. Great looking bike, quality effort, totally breaking the law. Do I care? Nope. I'm just saying the facts as I have had them explained to me by people who are supposed to know. CL is loaded with 66cc bikes, no lights, no front brakes, and the builders are saying they are legal and you don't need a license to ride (in MI). I'm not going to email them or flag the post but I believe they are wrong. Buyer beware.

Again, I don't want this thread to take a negative turn in any way. MI has its faults but I love it here. It would be great to have ride up M22 next year or maybe converge on the Gilmore Car Museum on the Wednesday night cruise. There's a lot of great coastline too. There seems to be a cluster forming in the Detroit area. Maybe something over there like a Tiger game or the Henry Ford Museum? We should try to work something out for 2013. Maybe we can complain about the moped / MB laws in person....
im planing almost the same build just with a few tweaks hear and there and maybe build a custom swing arm suspension ether way its a sweet design.

A West Sider and fairly new member myself here. Hello to you too! There are quite a few of us mitten dwellers on the forum and you can find some of us on the member map: http://zeemaps.com/map?group=178631
I sit at a computer for most of my day and although I really enjoy my job I need a brain dump or pressure release and stepping into the garage to tinker with my bike or just surfing for the next idea gets me out of my head for a while. Dirty finger nails are good therapy. Also started reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" which was a gift from my wife. She sees the value in my hobby as well despite the time and money commitment.
Hey, (to both of you!), gentlemen!; Funny thing, reading this... I read that book, a few years ago (2004, I think) while I lived in Lansing, MI... where, by chance, I also first got into this... I bought a pallet of engines, (was so hard to sell them all! I guess that "business venture" wasn't for me) but I left MI for Puerto Rico, and here I am still! Found this site, quiet by accident, and lurked for a few months before finally joining. I haven't started my first build, (finances) but do look forward to it, when I can! WELCOME!

Mac-

Artificer161

Sep 17, 2012
South Eastern Michigan
Maciver02,
Sorry to hear that back in 04 you had a hard time selling them. How are things in Puerto Rico, hope the hurricanes miss you and find you well? Cant wait to see you build one I bet it would be a big hit out there.

247Judge,
Hello and I couldn’t agree with you more. :)

Roadkill,
Hello and I am enjoying this forum a lot already have learned a lot. Probably before I’m done will learn even more.