Saving vintage handgrips when removing them

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'm trying to install brake control levers on a vintage Schwinn bike. I've been trying to get the handgrips off without destroying them so I can put them back on, but they are fighting me big time. I see people sell used grips on e-bay so there must be a way.

I hope that someone has something. I've tryed heating them with hot water, I taped a bathroom tissue roll on a hairdryer so I could get the heat to the whole thing all at once. Great idea, but it didn't work.

Hate it that a handgrip is smarter than me.

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
This works for me , take a flathead screwdriver an start a little gap an then spray windex in there,wiggle an rub it around then blow compressed air i e gap thn jus twist it off works for me an save gip ,windex also makes putting them on easyer too, goodluck Later Bob

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i use glass cleaner for installing them.
heat and compressed air should pop em off.
good luck,they can be difficult.

i have had stubborn hoses,i grease a pick or awl and slide it in between pipe and hose.
grease just needs to be cleaned off after removing.

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks guys. I took the advice in one of the posts in the link. Right by where I was working was the barbi and a spray bottle of cleaner. Screwdriver to open a gap, spray, move the sd, spray, and in a couple minutes was doing the same to the other. Once loose they slid right off.

Thanks again