Is this still a Cranbrook?

GoldenMotor.com

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I've done some mods on my 24" cranny.

My wife wanted a motorbike, so we went with the 24" because she's 4'10" tall.
I bought the bike first, then the "better" GHX50 only to find that it wouldn't fit the frame. so, to quote Tim Allen: "I REWIRED IT".

Well, is it still a Cranny?

Attachments

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yup. Still has the weak stock wheels. Hopefully, the rest of the frame welds hold up to the weight. Nice work on the mount though! I'd go ahead and reinforce some the stock welds. Make sure to grease the heck out of all bearings as well. And find that girl a brake of some sort! Looking good!

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
She's had "just a few upgrades"...

And there's an Instructable on her in progress...
(I took LOTS of pictures of the whole project)

I've put about 50 miles on her so far, and hopefully I'll get to put on another 50 before the snow flies.

The long Minnesota winter will give me plenty of time to re-do the front wheel (with a Sturmby-Archer dynamo/brake).
The back wheel was redone with a freewheel HD hub (thanks Terry) and a custom made variable dish sprocket (I had dishing issues).

So? Still a Cranny?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very well done. Congratulations.
Please, keep a close watch on the fenders and braces, especially the front. There have been many reports of cracks and failures due to vibration.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.
Tom

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
very nice job !!!
seems to be all yours(hers) now ;)
how big is that sprocket ???
it looks bigger than my 72T, but mine is on a 26" wheel
Thanks!

Yep, that's a 72 tooth with a dish of just over .400 (o.d.) - I cut it myself, it's made from 3 pieces of 10 gauge 304 stainless.

Last edited:

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Here she is again, after a winter of upgrades (short as this last winter was...)

She's got a Sturmy-Archer X-FDD on the front with new 12 Ga. spokes.
Also a 26" springer fork I found in the dumpster (DAMN! What a difference!!!)

She's completely "legal" now: In Minnesota, it's been re-classified as a MOPED, requiring Horn, Lights, and BRAKE LIGHTS & TURN SIGNALS! (fer cryin' out loud!)

I tried my best to get it registered & plated (as per MN rules) but the DMV told me they can't "register or plate a 'homemade' MOPED".

To quote Cheech & Chong: "I'm sick up & fed"

She's going on the road as-is!

Not that I'm going to do anything stupid or illeagal, but I'm DARING the cops to give me a ticket - I need an excuse to go to traffic court to show them just how "fupped-duck" their bureacracy really is...

So, tyrade asside...

Is it still a Cranny,
or have I morphed it into "different territory"???

(inquiring minds want to know!)

PS:

That Dynamo is "problematic" as I've been reading...
Anybody have any pointers on the subject?

Thanks!

Attachments

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
the back of that seat say HUFFY its a BICYCLE!!! ITS STILL GOT PEDALS ITS A BICYCLE. HUFFY CRANBOOK BICYCLE!!!
glenn

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
the back of that seat say HUFFY its a BICYCLE!!! ITS STILL GOT PEDALS ITS A BICYCLE. HUFFY CRANBOOK BICYCLE!!!
glenn
No need to shout! (grin)

*I* agree with you completely, but I have been "going to school" on Minnesota's requirements.

As of 2012 the Minnesota stautes have re-classified a "motorized bicycle" as a MOPED (damn their eyes!) - requiring registration and plating. But, since I built her myself, I cannot provide them with the Federally Approved "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" that they are so adamant about requiring for registration.

So, I am pursuing getting it registered as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle".
(lumped in with choppers, street-rods, reconstructions, and all other "non-factory" modified vehicles)

Terry

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
if i had to deal with it like that.. i would find me a 125 cc motorcycle with a title. something really cheap cut out the vin and weld it on my huffy now you have a title and a vin # in thier eyes its a 125 motorcycle but in reality its still a bicycle. you could also do it with a moped title.. some governments are not to smart mounting a three horse briggs on a bike dont make it a lawn mower,mounting a 33 cc two stroke on a bike dont make it a chain saw/weed wacker if you put a moped motor on a harley davidson does it become a moped. in my opinion your state law sucks i hope you figure something out for your situation. you have a nice build and you have a right to enjoy riding it!!! state and local laws need to address motor bicycles seperatly not lump them in with motorcycles or mopeds. thats what i would do.. sorry i didnt mean to yell just love all these bikes they all deserve to be ridden not sittin because of johnny law and ignorance of local and state governments. peace out glenn

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
if i had to deal with it like that.. i would find me a 125 cc motorcycle with a title. something really cheap cut out the vin and weld it on my huffy now you have a title and a vin # in thier eyes its a 125 motorcycle but in reality its still a bicycle. you could also do it with a moped title.. some governments are not to smart mounting a three horse briggs on a bike dont make it a lawn mower,mounting a 33 cc two stroke on a bike dont make it a chain saw/weed wacker if you put a moped motor on a harley davidson does it become a moped. in my opinion your state law sucks i hope you figure something out for your situation. you have a nice build and you have a right to enjoy riding it!!! state and local laws need to address motor bicycles seperatly not lump them in with motorcycles or mopeds. thats what i would do.. sorry i didnt mean to yell just love all these bikes they all deserve to be ridden not sittin because of johnny law and ignorance of local and state governments. peace out glenn
I'm making some progress!

There's a log of my build on http://www.instructables.com/id/motorized-bicycle-diy-the-hard-way

It seems the DMV can bend a little if you know what to ask for...

(what a long, strange trip it is...)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME bike, So they changed the law this year? dirty buggers. Didn't know that will have to checkit out. Thanks for letting us know.............Curt

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
That's a great bike, man. But to answer your questions, once a cranbrook, always a cranbrook.
I have a Panama jack. It looks nothing like a PJ. But, when people as me what it is, I tell them it's a Huffy Panama Jack.. I'm proud of it.

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's a great bike, man. But to answer your questions, once a cranbrook, always a cranbrook.
I have a Panama jack. It looks nothing like a PJ. But, when people as me what it is, I tell them it's a Huffy Panama Jack.. I'm proud of it.
Thanks!

I guess since mine's now "officially registered" as a Huffy - oops, scratch that - they misspelled it on the title !!!

It's now "offically" a "Hufy" and it'll be one from now on...
(is that pronounced: Hoofy ???)

I've never seen a PJ though - got any pics of yourn?

Terry

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Can you explain how you got your title? if its a specially constructed vehical you sure can't drive it to work everyday? Do you still need the turn signales?....................Curt

bogyman57

May 19, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Can you explain how you got your title? if its a specially constructed vehical you sure can't drive it to work everyday? Do you still need the turn signales?....................Curt
I posted a link to my instructable a few posts back in this thread.
(The comment section explains the process your looking for)

It's not a SCV: now it's a MOPED, and MOPEDs need turn-signals, brake lights, horn, etc...

Terry