gas resitant spray paint?

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
so i made a cool pvc gas tank but im discovering my cheap black paint is just turing into slime as soon as it hits gas i have some truck bed liner i was considering but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and nows of any good ideas

tank is holding up well 2 weeks with gas in it

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Wax.....many many coats of wax. Cheap wax like turtle wax is fine. Apply a coat, let dry, buff off, 20-25 times or more, the more coats the better.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
tank liner from carquest...$12.50
bought some and used it today....
polyester resin won't do it paint won't...do not seize your rings with some oil based chemicals...I just spent a week doing the research...it's not worth the saved money

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try Top Flite model airplane clear over your color coat. It goes on smooth, dries to a shiny gloss and is uneffected by gasoline. I've used it for several paint jobs and never had gas attack it.
Don't try DupliColor automotive clear. It doesn't like gasoline any better than your cheap black paint. >http://www.monokote.com/lustrekote/lustrekote.html
Check your local hobby shop for it.
Tom

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
also, this has been gone over before, but just about every quality spray paint is gas resistant, the trick is curing time. meaning, you need to paint your tank, then sit there and stare at it for a week or two before letting fuel or chemicals anywhere near it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Rustoleum high temp grill paint works great for exhaust pipes but sucks as far as gas goes.

Just dissolves.

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
yep same here. I use regular old spray paint in whatever color I want. Then hit it with a few coats of engine clear.

Do make sure to clear coat anything you paint in the engine clear. The first time I used it on a tank, I'd all ready panted the rest of my motorcycle. The engine clear is a little bit whiter then regular clear. If you lay it on too thick it'll look cloudy.

I've got some synthetic wax (a liquid made by prestone) that will make gas stained clear crystal clear again.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Bairdco hit the nail right on the head .
just about any automotive ( enamel ) spray paint will resist gas pretty well .
But ... even i get impatient ... it needs time to cure ... the longer the better .
Give it even more time if you painted thick .

My best advice for clear coat ... use the same brand as the paint you use .