Engine knocks at wot?

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Engine knocking is supposedly able to be remedied by higher octane gas.

From what I have heard, many engines run better on the higher stuff.

I heard 93 octane can work very well, and the only true point of high octane gas is to reduce/stop engine knocking.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Out of the 7 ht builds I've done, I had one that ran great but knocked badly at high rpm. Sounded like the piston was hitting the head.
I removed the head, saw no interferance. I put it back with 2 head gaskets anyway, and it was better but still knocked when wound up.
Pulled the jug off and discovered about .012" up and down clearance in rod play in this new engine.
Bad machine work at the factory. Runs quiet below 5000rpm though.
I sold it to someone who drives very conservitive. He sez he has heard no knocking.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

I got THAT noisy rattle, too.

Sometimes, not at a WOT attempt, it sounds like someone is feeding paperclips into the intake!

I'd like to tear it down, but don't wanna quit riding it! lol
rc

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I My engine was knocking at WOT also. I was running the 1st gen Manic head on it, running 91 Chevron and 6 oz. of octane boost per gal. I then put the stock slant head back on and the knocking stopped. I've been running it that way ever since.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Octane boost would work fine. My engine makes a kinda clanky noise that sounds like knocking, but I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the floating gear on the clutch vibrating against the plates.