Can The Super Rat Plug Wire be Updated?

GoldenMotor.com

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
My Grubee Super Rat 66cc just arrived and I have been looking it over. Compared to the engine that I bought from Spooky Tooth a couple years ago there are a lot of noticeable improvements. The whole thing just looks beefier. The internal magneto/CDI is clearly better designed and built.

Has anyone removed and successfully replaced the skinny plug wire with an 8mm wire? I called Robert at Piston bikes and wasn’t sure because he hadn’t taken apart a Super Rat. We both think it’ll be a simple twist off and twist in…but I would prefer not to be the guinea pig on this one.

Anyone with a Super Rat made or attempt this mod?

Last edited:

Lugisland

Apr 14, 2011
Algonac, MI
I'm looking for the same answer. I'd like to shorten the wire because I turned the head around to run the plug facing forward. I'll try to contact the Grubee site and ask them. I haven't even seen a replacement cdi available... Tom

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
8mm plug wire is too tthick to screw into the coil unless you shave off the outer casing....
instead.....
go to napa an get a couple of feet of 7mm solidcore wire and a standard auto bent plug clip
make it any length you want (and put the plug tip back on
you wil find the NGK-b5HS or the NGK-b6HS give the best performance, set to .30)
i do this to al my customers' bikes

stay dry
gubba