Yup! Another Cranny build.

GoldenMotor.com

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Howdy from Houston Texas guys. I am a noob to motor bikes although I have built several 3-5k Mountain Bikes and raced MX back in the day, so I have a lot of experience with either/or, but never combined, so Ill have a lot of questions and hope yall can hook me up!

The engine I ordered is the Raw 50cc in silver and after much reading here, pretty much every component on this bike is junk. At least for a guy who likes Chris King stuff. Not that I'm going that far out on my first build. Nothing against Huffy, but it's a Huffy.

Brakes: Coaster brakes alone will not do it for me and I guess the only option are cantis which brings up wheels. I plan to upgrade wheels and which many of you know, rims that use cantis or vee-brakes usually have a sidewall designed for them. I looked up the last place I ordered my wheels for and they have cruiser wheels with low end Shimano stuff at $90, but I don't think they will handle cantis.

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse

To be continued.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
On the wheels, I'm sure there are high end MTB wheels that the single speed guys use that can handle cantis, but I'm not sure I wanna spend 2-300 dollars for wheels. Suggestions and very welcomed! :)

The front end: My biggest fear is having a front end fail and taking a face plant at 30 mph. I have a couple of rigid MTB forks laying around but they designed for 1 1/8" headsets. I haven't dug them out yet so I don't know and my guess is by looking at this frame is, Ill, well I don't know what to think. I want to upgrade the headset and hopefully goes threadless with something on the equal of Cane Creek.

Will a standard 1 1/8 fork work with this frame? If so, would that be a 1"? If not, what are my options?

Thanks.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I guess I should post some more details. I'm 6' 198# and I just plan on riding around the hood and probably will never ride over 30 MPH. I will most likely paint the frame flat black and go for that, Bobber, Board Tracker style with most likely flat bars and an upside down MTB stem.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
For wheels on cruisers I always go with https://huskybicycles.com/ (Husky Bicycles on right).

I have used these wheels on many, many bikes I have built and the one I have has thousands of miles with no problems. I recommend the 12g spoke wheels.

Last edited:

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Well, tore it down and took it outside to acclimate to the heat here before painting. I used some Scotchbrite to roughen up the surface a little so the new paint sticks well, I hope! Fork is next.

Taking this bike down I found it true what they say on a MTB forum that I frequent. DON'T buy a bike from a big store. The assembly was horrible and very dangerous. The headset was very loose. Scary!

Weird how the color of the Cranny is so close to my truck. lol

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Paint is still wet but instead of watching it dry, I ordered some brakes and decided to go with a Springer fork. I'm not sure what to do with the bars yet. I may just hacksaw them down and flip em over.

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
I race rc cars too. I'm running a Hotbodies D8 now. Leisure Hours in Joliet, IL is our home track. You?

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Yes they do, did you see the drum brake option? 26" FRONT WHEEL WITH DRUM BRAKE HUB: Husky Bicycles
Thanks Dave. I ordered some canti brakes last night and I think Ill give the stock wheels a try. It may take some work to get the pads adjusted since the sidewalls are angled though. The spokes seem to be 12 ga. and to my surprise, the stock wheels seem pretty well built! I haven't got into the bearings yet, but I'm about a month a way from finishing this build and have plenty of time to check things like that out.

Today I bobbed the fenders and I'll see how that works out if I can even use fenders with the brakes.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
I got the fenders chopped and some paint laid down. I'm not using that fork, I'm using it to hold the front end up. I have a chrome springer fork coming. My engine kit is supposed to be here today but being it was shipped via fed ex ground, I dunno. I'm NOT a fed ex fan.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
How do you get the engine sprocket passed the coaster brake on the cranbrook? Thanks.... I am in Tomball outside of houston
Another Texan. :)

I haven't gotten that far yet. I just received my engine order and they messed up big time! Before I mention names, I'll give them the chance to expedite my engine shipment at their cost.

They sent me two of everything and I mean TWO of everything, carbs, everything, but no engine.

How can shipping guy mess up that bad?

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
I'm a bit surprised that you would paint before doing a full mock up. You must not be custom fabricating anything. Looks good though!

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
Hay Gary, what will the wheels look like? lookin good. i vote red wheeles to match the seat rails! people love my black schwinn with red rims over my blue/ tan Cranny

click me
Picture 010a.JPG

click me
Picture 013a.JPG

Last edited: