New guy in Ohio

GoldenMotor.com

mailman

Oct 24, 2010
Yellow Springs, OH
Hello all- I stumbled upon this forum while researching the chinese engine kits, and trying to figure out weather or not to go that route. Looks like a lot of good information and good people!

The bike I started with is an old Schwinn with a Dixie 2-speed an a LOT of rust- My dad bought the bike 30 years ago, and for the past 25 it has been behind the garage. I pulled it out, flipped the bars, oiled it, stuck a skinny off of my parts bike on the front, and a new tube and tire on the rear:

I rode it around town for a while that way, then got the wild hair going on.
I put my bike together the first time as a front-wheel-drive gizmo using some old model airplane parts. I used an old Supertigre .40 from my pile o' parts, along with a tire from one of my models to form the drivetrain. I built a mount that hung on the springer fork tine on the left out of 1/8" aircraft-grade mahogany ply with basswood as a filler. For a fuel tank, I had a few martinis to finish up a bottle of vermouth, and stuck a slice of brake line off of a Volvo 240 in it for a pickup. I ran a piece of hose from the muffler to the "tank" to pressurize it and allow the tank to be mounted slightly below the engine.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I'd pedal that nice vintage bike a few months to determine if it is sturdy enough to motorize. It's a real find.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
I'd recognise an Aeromaster Biplane anywhere... Not sure how much you'll get from a Super Tiger 40 but they sure were good engines in their day on a 40 sized plane.
If you're looking for power and reasonable speed I'd suggest exploring some of our sponsors for an engine kit for that beautiful old Schwinn. An in-frame Chinese 2 stroke would go great or if you prefer friction drive there are several of those out there too. Whatever you decide upon, keep us informed. Thanks for sharing those amazing photos, especially the bipe. Brought back some very fond memories.
Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to our motorized bicycle site. i love the old bicycles. looking forward to seeing the finished product. great to have you with us

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
very good your bike. strength in this restoration. your motor is clutch?
you know the engine of the Solex?
OuvirLer foneticamente

mailman

Oct 24, 2010
Yellow Springs, OH

I rode it for a bit set up this way, but it was a pain to start or kill, and it had to be restarted after every stop. It did about 10mph wide open, and sounded terrible and loud. Not to mention nitro fuel was expensive.