Lower than a 36 tooth

GoldenMotor.com

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Hi all, I currently have the 70cc skyhawk motor with expansion pipe, k&n pod filter and a 36 tooth sprocket. 5 times a week I need to ride 22miles (1 way) to work, and then back. I way 240lbs and am riding at an average speed of 27-35mph easily but at high RPM. It still pulls strong up the hills averaging 25-30mph up reasonable hills.

Has anyone stepped down to say a 30tooth (from one of our sponsors) and regretted it due to not reaching the same top speed or being sloppy up the hills from having even more reduced torque is it feasible to maybe even go lower.

The reason I was thinking of going to the 30 tooth or lower is because the whole 22miles is pretty much dead straight hardly ever have to slow down. Im just concerned about the little fella overheating and spitting oil out the seals, etc. from the constant high RPM. I realise I could ride slower the whole way but that would be painful just trying to find an alternative.

Attachments

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
well.. i have a 44tooth sprocket and my top speed was 32mph. i tried a 32 sprocket my top speed was about 30-32 the same, but i had to pedal a lot up to 5-7mph. now days i have a 36 tooth... top speed is 29-30 mph i don't know if its something to do with the engine, but o well ... one of this days i am going to go back to me 44tooth i miss the torque.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I do have to peddle a tad more up to say 15km/h but after that it takes off picks up rather quick still. On a very slight incline I can still manage 53-55km/h. Fastest Ive managed on flat ground is 59km/h. Would be more than happy if top speed was just 50km/h just wnna get the revs down abit more. At 46km/h it sounds like its happy there and could do it all day long.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
I do have to peddle a tad more up to say 15km/h but after that it takes off picks up rather quick still. On a very slight incline I can still manage 53-55km/h. Fastest Ive managed on flat ground is 59km/h. Would be more than happy if top speed was just 50km/h just wnna get the revs down abit more. At 46km/h it sounds like its happy there and could do it all day long.
Nice. I got a digital speedo from Hong Kong and it says I sit at about 47km/h on flat land. But it also says that when I'm going down a slope.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's all about what YOUR bike can do! (Every engine is different)
If it can perform to your satisfaction with a 30T sprocket?, then go for it! I personally like the way 40's work on my bikes... (I weigh 210 lbs)

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI All,

A few guys in FL recently bought some 27T sprockets from me for their beach cruisers....appears they ride from fairly far out to their job and wanted to do so quickly.
One of them wrote me and said they were tickled at the difference....

I still have a 36T on mine just because I've been too busy to change it out...I am in a relatively hilly area but may go to 30T or so if I get some time off.....I am running a Dax "80" w/ a tuned pipe...

Andrew

Andrew

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
A few years ago I had a 12 mile (each way) commute and used a Schwinn Alloy Seven with 66cc and 34T gear. I set up the pedal side with 52Tf and 11t rear and it would do 30+ nicely. I put 3k miles on it before the frame fractured.

I had no problems with acceleration, wind or not, because I usually pedalled. With smart shifting, that bike accelerated very well despite my 220lbs/100KG weight, often beating cars across the intersection to take lane position.