California Highway Police & Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Grandpa for posting thae link. It's really puts my mind to ease knowing the rules. I'll be printing it and keeping it on my "under 30mph & less than 2 braking hp" Motorized bicycle.(^)

grandpa-too

May 23, 2008
Re: California Highway Patrol & Motorized Bicycles

Every one has a right to his own opinion.

Three people at the local DMV confirmed when I ask the question ,"is registration required for a gasoline moterized Bicycle?" All three responded, "registration is not required."

Go to California Vehicle Code
V.C. Section 4020 - Motorized Bicycles

Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 1 >> Section 4020
Motorized Bicycles

4020. A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration.

grandpa-too:ride2:

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Re: California Highway Patrol & Motorized Bicycles

Every one has a right to his own opinion.

Three people at the local DMV confirmed when I ask the question ,"is registration required for a gasoline moterized Bicycle?" All three responded, "registration is not required."

Go to California Vehicle Code
V.C. Section 4020 - Motorized Bicycles

Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 1 >> Section 4020
Motorized Bicycles

4020. A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration.

grandpa-too:ride2:
Section 4020 is 1976 law/code, and has long since been upgraded. Alas the Calif DMV does not purge the old when the new is added. The codes/laws currently in effect are not clear and subject to interpertation by local law enforcement. Here in the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa area where I live The Newport PD pretty much leave you alone unless you are acting/riding stupidly. But across the street in Cosat Mesa the PD is cracking down on motorized bicycles and their riders giving tickets for registration/license violations, safty equipment violations (They are saying and ticketing for no headlight and tail light, no turn signals, no stop light no helmet, they claim DOT Motorcycle helmet required, also no insurance.) We can discuss all day long who is right and who is wrong on these matters but in this area Costa Mesa you will be very likely stoped and issued citations for any or all of the above. Then its up to you to prove your opinion in front of a judge. As for what you were told by the folks at the DMV I'd only accept it as true if they were willing to pay for any tickets you might get. I'm not sure where in Calif. you are or how your local law enforcement is handling these matters. I guess you will know soon enough if you continue to ride your bike. The link is to a pdf file of the cal vec code 2006 that pertains to motorized bicycles
http://www.greenemotor.com/download/vc_for_mopeds.pdf

The second link is to the index of the vec code. Scroll down to Motorized Bicycles and also Motor Driven Cycles
Vehicle Code Index -M-

ocscully

grandpa-too

May 23, 2008
Thank you for the good information, especially how your local police apply the law. I live in Santa Cruz, maybe I will visit the local police to understand how they apply the law. I rarely see a motorized bike here. Guess I had better also get busy and register my bike.

Thanks again,
grandpa-too
:ride2:

benuntu

Jul 7, 2008
Chico, CA
Just FYI, I found this link on the CHP site:

Motorized Vehicles

I have a friend who is a motorcycle cop, so I'm going to be asking him what the laws are regarding motorized bikes. I'll post back when I hear!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This subject on CA laws just won't die!!
This is all I can really say about the laws... If you live in a little BFE town where all the police have to do with their time, is mess with honest hard working people for riding your motorbike, then go ahead and register your bike & wear a helmet if you're scared.
I live in Los Angeles & I am currently riding my bike everyday to work without a registration or helmet!!!... I never get pulled over anymore!! Every time I ever got pulled over in the past, I was NEVER given a ticket!!! (And believe me they would have given me a ticket if they could!!!)

I know there will be 50 posts after me with you guys telling everyone that I'm wrong and you really know the laws... SO WHAT?...
The cops wanted to give me a ticket and couldn't! what does that say to you?

benuntu

Jul 7, 2008
Chico, CA
yeah, i'd like to make sure I'm within the limits of the law...I'd rather not pay a fine for not knowing what those limits are. My mc cop friend should be able to come through...and I assume they are legal in some function or another.

Either way, I'll be OK...I've been riding motorcycles for years, and just last year sold my MC. Still have the M1 designation on my driver's license! Looking forward to no insurance, registration, and other DMV B$.

Peace,
ben

benuntu

Jul 7, 2008
Chico, CA
OK, my police officer friend replied to me regarding the laws in CA for motorized bicycles:

Hey Ben, I had to research the new laws regarding them. Basically in CA, you need to have at least an M2, or an M1 license. You don't have to have reg or insurance. If you have a gas powered motor, it cannot be more than 2 gross brake horsepower, cannot exceed 30 mph, and need a DOT motorcycle helmet. If it is an electric motor, it cannot exceed 1000 watts, cannot exceed 20 mph, and you need a bicycle helmet.
So, it sounds like at least in my town and possibly most of CA they are treating these vehicles like MoPeds, but not requiring reg or insurance. Not sure if this is right, but it will work for me...I already have my M1!

Peace,
ben