Has anyone put the 4 stroke kit in a Worksman?

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Does anyone know of anyone who has put the 4 stroke kit in a worksman cycle? Or anyone who has a worksman know the distance from the top of the bb to the bottom of the lower top tube?

Thanks,
Pat

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i looked into doing it. the 4 stroke kit motor won't fit without cutting out the lower top tube. even if you don't use the flat plate motor mount theres still not enough room.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Patrick,
Without frame modification I don't think there is room for any four stroke I know of. The opening in the Worksman frame is snug even for a China girl. I had two frames I have sitting next to each other one day and was surprised to see how much room there is on the straightbar 50 Schwinn Panther compared to the Worksman Newsboy. I had it in my mind that the frames were similar in design, but there's room on the Schwinn for a four stroke (that has been done without any frame modification) where I was amazed at how much smaller the opening was on the Worksman. I was also surprised to discover that the old Panther frame is every bit as well made as the Worksman frame and very comfortable sitting on it... just felt right. A panther with Worksman wheels is superior in my mind to the Worksman. Of course, new Worksman frames can be bought where Panther frames have to be found. The same "board tracker" frame design was used on other Schwinn models and there are a number of old vintage bikes with a similar frame arrangement (Elgin, Colson, Hawthorne to name a few) which I think would lend themselves to a four stroke.
SB

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The little 1.6 H.P. 33cc Subaru/Robin 4 cycle just fits in the frame.

It would require a lot of fab work & a wider pedal crankset to finish it out.

The one I have here is the Staton unit with gear-box...it looks good in the frame, but it is wide. This unit was designed for rack mounting only.

There's not much at all in the way of mounting points on the engine, for an in-frame set-up.

Jim

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I tried to find the link for the video. I will post it if/when I do find it.

BTW...:)

Wow I just noticed... i'm a senior member!

The few...the proud...the senior members :)
(i'm trying to be funny here)

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
You can always try this approach. Loop the down tube on the Worksman frame and you'll have enough room for just about any bicycle engine. I should have this frame finished shortly. Lower tube shown is just for reference purposes. Don't cut that middle tube out from a Worksman. If you do you won't have a place to mount an in-frame tank.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
on the worksman a loop may not work out with a 4 stroke hs kit motor, when i tried it the kit motor mount plate was going to be in the way of the crank sprocket. if you already have the worksman cutting the lower top tube is probably the way to go, but if you don't have a bike yet another model would probably work out better. heres a pick of a mid 60's bike i cut the lower top tube out of to make room for the hs engine.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Firebelly cycles sells a mount for the worksman and the 4 stroke (Im assuming the 49cc) Check it out. I cant get a link directly to the worksman mount but click on the button above this picture. Firebelly Cycles What do you think? I sent them an email with questions last night.

Pat

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Firebelly cycles sells a mount for the worksman and the 4 stroke (Im assuming the 49cc) Check it out. I cant get a link directly to the worksman mount but click on the button above this picture. Firebelly Cycles What do you think? I sent them an email with questions last night.

Pat
I just took a look and it shows the Worksman mount, but not with a motor, so I guess something fits in there. I think the transmission they sell is for the Harbor Freight Greyhound motor. I don't know for sure if that's what the plate is to support. It just doesn't look like enough room to me, but what do I know?
SB

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Pat,,,
I know you are going with the Honda, but I just measured, and from the mount to the top of the choke lever (highest spot on engine), is approx 10" on my HuaSheng
I am not sure you will have enough space :(

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
My idea, if it doesnt fit, is to cut out the lower cross tube and bend and weld 2 tubes in place that both go around the protruding engine components. It would maintain the worksman frame integrity and allow for some clearance too. If it all goes well Id like to put the Worksman tank that Pirate sells in there as well. It would look something like this when being viewed from the top of the bike looking down. --O-- Hope that makes sense. The hole would be more oval shaped though.

Thanks,
Pat

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the worksman has lugs at all the main joining points, the top tube is lugged and would be a pain to cut out and redo, the lower top tube isn't lugged and could be cut out ez. an in frame tank is going to be a lot of work for a 4 stroke worksman, would be a cool build though if you pull it off.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Camlifter,
Sounds like you have some experience mounting a four stroke to the Worksman, but if it fits in a Schwinn why wouldn't it fit in a looped Worksman frame? Use a wider crank if that is the problem.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i mocked up a 4 stroke for the worksman and saw it was going to be a lot of work to fit it in there. you would need a wide crank set to clear the motor, but also the motor is going to be setting where the pedal crank sprocket needs to be, can't off set that or the chain won't line up, if you looped it you would need to cut out the bottom bracket and move it behind the seat post like on the old board trackers, if you did that then a 4 stroke should fit. i used my worksman for a morini build, cut out the lower top tube and made mounts to fit the s6s in there.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I would think that by looping the frame you can move the engine forward and then down to clear a 36t front sprocket. Without an engine here I will have a hard time verifying that. As for the Morini in a Worksman frame I have drawn up the fit in CAD, both engine and frame. The Morini engine will not have adequete clearence for the engine exhaust as it leaves the cylinder in a standard length frame that has been looped. Stretching the frame 4" and then adding the loop down tube opens the frame up real nice for the Morini while leaving the middle tube intact for a 4" stretched in-frame tank.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
i mocked up a 4 stroke for the worksman and saw it was going to be a lot of work to fit it in there. you would need a wide crank set to clear the motor, but also the motor is going to be setting where the pedal crank sprocket needs to be, can't off set that or the chain won't line up, if you looped it you would need to cut out the bottom bracket and move it behind the seat post like on the old board trackers, if you did that then a 4 stroke should fit. i used my worksman for a morini build, cut out the lower top tube and made mounts to fit the s6s in there.
Thats a really nice bike. Also Worksman makes a 28 tooth 1 piece crank sprocket that would help with clearance issues. Its availiable here. http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=6039 I snagged one up a few weeks ago.
Pat

Last edited: