Headlights?

GoldenMotor.com

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
Ladies and germs,

I'm looking for a decently powerful bullet headlight - preferably LED. I found a few online - all with horrible reviews of shorting out and not working properly. The reason the LED is important is because the bike path that takes me in and out of town is through this little valley with bright lights on each side of me (between West World, the three parks, the hospital, and the surprisingly very well light community); basically the silhouette of the lights around me keep me eyes dilated while the path in front of me is pitch black - at night I often times veer off the path because I can't see it well enough. So, I ask, whereabouts can I find an LED chrome/black bullet headlight? Preferably something reliable...maybe even something you yourself have owned and operated with satisfaction.

- or -

Does anyone know what the procedure is to convert a run-of-the-mill bullet light fixture into an LED fixture?

rickie h

Aug 6, 2009
usa
you could do as i did....i simply bought a crank led flashlight with a lot of leds and its pretty bright and like i said its crank so i never run out of battery :D anywayss i took that flashlight and attached it to my handlebars with a radiator hose clamp,those little steel rings you screw closed,it works fairly well and is very low maintnence and has 3 light ooptions...bringht dull and flash...its like a real headlight :D

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Electra used to sell a LED bullet headlight, but those links all say "out of stock" now.
A few places still show one, and some seem to indicate it's being distributed by Nirve.
Here is one-

well I was gonna post links, but I can't do that so sorry, not much help.

(the Electra light cost around $30 also)

There is a incandescent version of this light available widely for $15-$20, usually listed as from Pyramid:

there was a link here too, guess you can just search Google then

I bought a couple of these lights for my first m-bike project, thinking that I would just convert them to LED if the bulb was not bright enough. Well,,, firstly, the bulb is pathetic, requires like six volts and is very dim. The next problem is that converting it to LED use would be pretty difficult, I couldn't do it at the time and gave up on them. It's hard to explain and I didn't take photos, but the way the internal parts are made does not lend itself well to modification. I ended up just using the regular Cateye headlights as they were.
~

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I use Serengeti flashlights Sam's Club - Serengeti LED Flashlight - 2pk from Sam's Club you get 2 for under $30. You can use a couple hose clamps for each flashlight to mount to the handlebar. DealExtreme will sell you some nice conversion clamps for a couple bucks each, there are a few choices, but they take a while to ship from Hong Kong.

The lights are VERY bright, have 2 intensity levels and can adjust size of beam, plus strobe setting. I mount 2 but only turn one on at a time.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you're dead set on a LED bullet head light make one. Buy one of the bullet lights and put a 50 bulb bike light inside it.